We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Luau to do??

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
369 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Which Luau to do??

There are so many different luas- we are leaving next friday and where told to book ahead as they fill up fast~ What would you recomend for a first time luau? We are staying at the Kaanapali beach hotel so something fairly close! Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
310 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Luau to do??

The Old Lahaina Luau is the most authentic. The food is pretty good too.

Central Valley...
Level Contributor
219 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Luau to do??

We're doing the Feast at Lele in December based on my husband's strong dislike for all things buffet & our desire for a private table since its just the two of us & I don't believe the Old Lahaina Luau has private tables for less than a party of four maybe? I've been to the OLL once before & that one was good too. I have heard that OLL is considered the most authentic, but for us the Feast will be a better fit. You could do a search in the forums & find out a lot more about each one. What is important to one person may be very different for another. From all I've read here on the forums, Old Lahaina Luau & then Feast at Lele are the top two luaus on Maui.

Edited: 28 October 2010, 00:10
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,970 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Luau to do??

In my mind those really are your top two choices. Feast at Lele runs about $10-$15 more than the OLL. You might take a look at their menu on-line I loved it, but some find it a little too adventurous. I too prefer the private table and having you own waiter. The show is wonderful!

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Luau to do??

cacountrygirl and mamma spelled it out pretty well. we've been to both and prefer the feast at lele. you are served at your own table and have different cuisine from several polynesian islands. the show is smaller and more intimate and is more expensive, but worth it in our opinion.

have fun!

Edited: 28 October 2010, 00:38
Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,643 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Luau to do??

We have alwas done The Old Lahaina Luau, it has alwas worked for us, good luck and have fun. Hubie

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Luau to do??

And, IMHO, if you get the urge to walk next door to the Sheraton Sunset Luau, head south to the Hyatt for Drums of the Pacific instead.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
369 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Luau to do??

Thanks for the replies.They both look good, not sure wich as we are going with another couple! Also should we book before we leave or should we be fine waiting until we arrive??

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,950 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Luau to do??

Drums of the Pacific or Feast at Lele.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,970 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Luau to do??

If you decide to do the Feast, book asap. They sell out and early res means better table.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,844 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Luau to do??

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I've danced hula for 20 years now and to the best of my knowledge in the hula community the lu'au with Kumu Hula Charles Ka'upu is generally considered the best on Maui - it is the Old Lahaina Lu'au.

He is a very well respected Kumu Hula (hula teacher) of hula and 'oli (chant) and while it has been a long while since I've seen that particular lu'au - in terms of quality of Hawaiian culture - that one is thought of very highly.

Here is a video that highlites his 'oli (chant) style - the music is by "Hapa".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM37d2HZWxw

Malama Pono,

Janet