We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area of island to stay on??

Hutch, MN
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
What area of island to stay on??

Husband and I plan to spend 2 weeks on Maui in January or February. We will be rennting a condo or house and a car. We like to stay in quiet, more private areas, so we do not mind driving. We would also fo course like to be as close to the beach/ocean as possible. What area of the Maui would you suggest we stay???

Last year we spent 2 weeks on the Big Island - 1 wek on east side and 1 week on west side. We loved the local more small town atmosphere of the east side. (verus the big town Kona feel)

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What area of island to stay on??

I highly recommend the Mahana on Ka'anapali Beach. It's an older condo, but well-kept up and most of the units have had recent remodeling.

It's *right* on the beach ... literally a dozen yards from the surf (I doubt any place is closer). And, because ALL of the rooms face the ocean, you feel like you're well away from the traffic and bustle of typical hotels or condos.

Joseph, Oregon
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What area of island to stay on??

We love the quieter Honokowai area just above the Ka'anapali area. There are a number of smaller, quieter condo complexes on the ocean in that area and also further North toward Kahana, Napili and Kapalua.

Our favorite is Papakea, but have heard good things about others in the area, too.

The beaches at the condos vary as to how sandy, swimmable, etc. they are, but if what you're after is views and proximity to the sound of the waves, I highly recommend that area.

Try this link: http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mauaerials.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page and you can click on the areas you are interested in to check out great aerial views of almost every condo. It gives you cost info, but it is usually waaaay high and you can do better through the complex or VRBO.

Let me know if you want to know more info about why we love the area.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,262 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What area of island to stay on??

We stay in South Kihei every February. The ocean will be calmer in South Maui, but you'd be fine, weather-wise, anywhere from Kahana in West Maui on south. The only areas where weather might be less good are Kapalua and Napili in West Maui (cool, wet, windy) and Hana (wet!).

Winds will also be up around Paia -- although you might like that 'aging hippie' town. LOL It's not like Kona -- where a beautiful bay is ruined by aging condos, concreted-over 'landscape' and shops selling junk made in China.

I don't know your budget, but take a look at these condo complexes in the Wailea area: Wailea Elua and Ekahi, and Makena Surf.

Hana might also suit, since you evidently enjoyed the Hilo climate. Hotel Hana is a possibility. Also look at small homes and B & B's on VRBO.com

I urge you to reserve a rental car NOW. They are in short supply during the popular winter season.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,392 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What area of island to stay on??

It depends on how remote and "small town" you want to get. You can find places on VRBO in Pai'a or Haiku, but those are away from where most people stay and there is really not a lot to do there, which is fine if that is what you are looking for.

Kapalua is quiet and very nice, but it doesn't have a small town atmosphere because it isn't a town, just a development.

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What area of island to stay on??

We like the Wailea - Kihei area. It's more green and lush than the Kaanapali area, and Kapaula presented to much driving for our site seeing trips. The Wailea - Kihei area is centerally located, so if you are one to do a lot of site seeing consider this area to reduce some driving time....and provides a number of places to stay with a wide price range, really close to everything you need.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What area of island to stay on??

W Maui isnt built up in the way Konatown is, but its built up. W and S Maui will feel more like Kohala Coast than E Big Island. Consider a VRBO rental or B&B E Maui or for a better balance of solitude and things to do look at Kauai

There are some N Kauai VRBO rentals that are incredible if you dont mind some rain

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What area of island to stay on??

We stayed in 3 areas in '08. First in Kehei at a condo for 2 days, then Hana for 2 days then Royal Lahaina for last 2-yes, it was a bit of pack and unpack those last few days, but we really enjoyed getting to spend time in such very different areas.

Broussard, Louisiana
Level Contributor
276 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What area of island to stay on??

Kannapali beach rocks!

Hutch, MN
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What area of island to stay on??

Wow --thanks to ALL of you for the great ideas and research areas I can use and check out !!

10. Re: What area of island to stay on??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2011, 05:16