We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mama's Fish House v. the Waterfront at Maalaea

new york
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Mama's Fish House v. the Waterfront at Maalaea

Once again I am turning to the experts for your opinions.

We will be in Maui in a few short weeks! I had made a reservation at Mama's Fish House but was just told by a coworker in NY that the Waterfront is amazing and had been recommended by her travel agent. We are staying near the Whalers Village and thought we would incorporate a sightseeing drive with dinner for one day. We are looking for good food and a nice view to boot.

On another subject. Carey tour to Hana v. Awaphui Adventure tour? We are 4 adults looking for a private guide. Carey is a bit more money according to their website but not enough to sway us. Any opinions would be great.

Thanks again for all your help.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,953 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mama's Fish House v. the Waterfront at Maalaea

There are no views from inside the Waterfront. The main restaurant is sub-ground level. Unless they have changed it recently, the decor is dark and dated. If you are seated on the outdoor lanai there is a view of Maalaea Harbor, however last I checked they won't make reservations for the lanai.

The day time views are amazing at Mama's if you are seated near a window. IMO, not worth the price if you have to sit in the interior bullpen area.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,005 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mama's Fish House v. the Waterfront at Maalaea

I don't ordinarily recommend Mama's, but between the two no question it has the better view and ambience. The food's good but not great, but the place is a factory. Be prepared to be crowded and hurried. Nice view though.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,513 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mama's Fish House v. the Waterfront at Maalaea

The food at the Waterfront is quite good -- however, inside it is nothing special and kind of reminds me of a nice restaurant circa 1960.

The food I had at Mama's last time was my best meal of the trip, though, and the views are stunning. The food isn't always that good -- but sometimes it's great!

A late lunch/early dinner will give you the best views, IMO. After dark you really don't see much.

Be prepared to spend a lot of $$!

Indiana
Level Contributor
836 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mama's Fish House v. the Waterfront at Maalaea

I have eaten at Mama's on two separate occasions. I was seated in the front of the restaurant by the open-air windows and the views are wonderful. I had great service and great food on both trips. I never felt like I was being rushed during my visits. It is very pricey but worth it for a splurge. I don't go on every visit to Maui but I will eat there again. Enjoy!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,469 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mama's Fish House v. the Waterfront at Maalaea

As other's have said, you will get a great meal at either restaurant. If you are looking for atmosphere and views, Mama's wins hands down.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,858 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mama's Fish House v. the Waterfront at Maalaea

Mama's - no comparison.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
46,838 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mama's Fish House v. the Waterfront at Maalaea

Aloha,

The Waterfront is more of an "old school" restaurant. I personally love it and the views on the lanai are wonderful-but yes, like almost ALL restaurants here, lanai seating is first come, first seated. In other words, your reservation doesn't guarantee an outdoor table. This is the norm here.

I'd rec doing lunch at Mama's, just because that way you can really enjoy the views and not be so stung by the prices. It's also a long drive home in the dark after perhaps imbibing...........not a good plan.

Closer to "home", consider The Plantation House in Kapalua or Merriman's. The views are incredible from both. Merriman's will be close to Mama's in prices, Plantation will be less.

new york
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mama's Fish House v. the Waterfront at Maalaea

Thanks for your input and your alternative suggestions. I had looked at the Plantation House and it looks beautiful. I will also take a look at Merrimans.

Thanks again.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,513 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mama's Fish House v. the Waterfront at Maalaea

As for your 2nd question -- I looked at both of these tours and they both look great -- so I agree, hard choice. You might want to post a separate question with those names in the subject so anyone who's taken a tour with them will comment ... I've never seen either mentioned here.

One thing I like about the Carey trip is that they take you around the back way -- I think there's some really beautiful scenery out there and since someone else is doing the driving you don't have to worry about the legalities of rental cars on that road!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
46,838 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mama's Fish House v. the Waterfront at Maalaea

Aloha,

Carey Limousine has been here for years, and yes, they have private tours. However, if I was looking for a $$$ pricey tour, I'd also check Temptation Tours. They are really, really good-and their guides are top of the line. They don't go all the way around.