We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

And now, the end is near (Days 5-6)

Seattle
Level Contributor
361 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
And now, the end is near (Days 5-6)

Sorry for the delay on the last 2 days of the TR. I found that doing a live one was too much like work, which was something I was trying to avoid.

On Sunday, my friend and I went on the Four Winds snorkeling trip out of Maalaea. Make sure to bring a light jacket for the beginning, but it does warm up fairly quickly once you get into the wind shadow of Haleakala.

Having done Molokini, I can now check it off my list, but I wouldn't recommend it. The fish count was really small in our area, and we might have snorkeled for about 20 minutes. We discovered the slide on the side of the boat and ended up doing that for about 90 minutes.

After the end of the trip, we were both pretty beat, so she went back to her place in Kihei, and I headed north to the Royal Lahaina, where I spent the balance of the afternoon either napping or hanging out in the bar watching NFL games.

Monday morning was concerned with packing and getting ready for my redeye back to Seattle. I've always taken the 3 pm (or so) flight out of OGG, which really kills the last day. This time, the flights were an 8:30 to HNL and a redeye to Seattle at 10:30.

This gave me a lot more time to spend with my friend - we ended up at Mulligan's bar at one of the Wailea golf courses while we watched the Steelers game as the sun set behind us. A nice way to end the trip.

By the way, Mulligan's is, or tries to be, an Irish pub-type place, so if you're a soccer person, you can get your fix there. They also have the Sunday Ticket and plenty of TV's. My burger was quite tasty, and my friend said that the rest of their food was equally as good, especially the fish and chips.

A couple of things I'd forgotten to mention:

- Was walking down Front Street in Lahaina and was solicited by a disreputable-looking gentleman who inquired as to whether I was interested in the purchase of Maui Wowie. No big deal, I think it should be legalized. The best part was that several of his customers were sampling the product a couple of feet away, as they had left their pipes at home. Love the commitment to customer service.

- I did the Spa at Black Rock (Lomi Lomi style) on day 2 as a way to get into Maui relaxation, and it did the trick. I think they've raised their prices - this one was at the limit of what I'd pay.

- I'm back again in February for two weeks, but that TR will be posted after I get back. I felt like I was working too much on this trip, and the pressure of doing on daily kind of took away from the style I've tried to achieve.

- The February trip will also include some time looking at real estate, as I'm about 90% sure that I'll be moving over there within the next two years, depending on whether or not I can make the business plan work.

- Finally, as always, thanks to the TA community - through your recommendations I found both Maui Eco Tours and Goofy Foot surf school, both of which were excellent choices.

Here's hoping that your hotel can get the ocean to just the right volume when you make your trip(s).

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: And now, the end is near (Days 5-6)

Your reports are always so entertaining, Roy. Absolutely loved the closing line! :-) Thanks for posting and we'll all look forward to the February installment. If you do succeed in moving there, you'll just have to start a regular blog post.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
534 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: And now, the end is near (Days 5-6)

Love your comment about the "gentleman" dispensing non-legal goods to passers by. Did he look like Maharishi Mahesh Yogi? I think I saw him in Paia recently, and he dangled a baggie in my direction.

DeWitt, Iowa
Level Contributor
357 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: And now, the end is near (Days 5-6)

Thanks for the wrap-up Roy. I was a little worried about what may have happened to you. We met the same guy in Lahaina and my husband was interested in seeing how many customers he actually finds. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your real-estate search in February. We're there that month as well and will be just down the beach from you if you're back at the RL.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,573 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: And now, the end is near (Days 5-6)

Great as always! The Dude in Lahaina always hits hubbie up...not sure if it's because he looks like needs some or simply because he sits on th street a lot while I shop!

Discovery Bay...
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: And now, the end is near (Days 5-6)

I tried the live report also and only managed to post every couple days the first week & then had to finish after coming home. But, at least I posted this time compared to all the times I got too busy when returning home & never did!

Loved your report. I think we kayaked out of Makena Landing on the same day, might have paddled right by you!!

Hope the business works out so you can find a way to relocate. Ahh...one day!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
56,598 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: And now, the end is near (Days 5-6)

Aloha,

Roy, good to read the 'wrap-up'. Maybe you and Mamma's husband can hang out together by the seawall in Feb!

Good luck on the real estate search. If you can, you may want to buy sooner than 2 years from now. Prices are starting to move around more now--but in 2 years, they could well be much higher than now or in 2011. I suspect we're very near the bottom.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,048 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: And now, the end is near (Days 5-6)

Thanks for the report, Roy, good luck on your endeavor to move to Maui. I'm sure you are aware that visiting and living there are totally different. Look for forward to your report in February!!

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: And now, the end is near (Days 5-6)

I've never actually seen people "sampling" the non-legal products on Front Street but it must have made your day. Good times.

Seattle
Level Contributor
361 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: And now, the end is near (Days 5-6)

No need to worry about me, but I appreciate it. I've lived in Detroit, where the weak are killed or maimed.

As I said, I really think it should be legalized. That said, the stories I've heard of people ending up buying alfalfa or oregano have given me pause.

I do understand that living there is different from vacationing there, but if I can do my job from anywhere in the world, it at least makes sense to look into a place where it doesn't rain for 6 months straight. I'm thinking mainly of 60-year old me sitting on a beach somewhere and yelling at 41-year old me for not taking the chance. Not a pretty picture.

Glad you guys all enjoyed the reports. It is a nice outlet for my creative side, and as I prepare for future trips, it is a good resource for me to remember what did and did not work.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,573 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: And now, the end is near (Days 5-6)

Roy, many of us are saving and planning to "snow-bird" to the islands one day...I have a feeling this winter is gonna give us a shove! OUCH...snow tomorrow. If you haven't read it yet check out "So you want to live in Hawaii" on Amazon. If you have no family, no kids, it's easier. Just keep writing!