Sorry for the delay on the last 2 days of the TR. I found that doing a live one was too much like work, which was something I was trying to avoid.
On Sunday, my friend and I went on the Four Winds snorkeling trip out of Maalaea. Make sure to bring a light jacket for the beginning, but it does warm up fairly quickly once you get into the wind shadow of Haleakala.
Having done Molokini, I can now check it off my list, but I wouldn't recommend it. The fish count was really small in our area, and we might have snorkeled for about 20 minutes. We discovered the slide on the side of the boat and ended up doing that for about 90 minutes.
After the end of the trip, we were both pretty beat, so she went back to her place in Kihei, and I headed north to the Royal Lahaina, where I spent the balance of the afternoon either napping or hanging out in the bar watching NFL games.
Monday morning was concerned with packing and getting ready for my redeye back to Seattle. I've always taken the 3 pm (or so) flight out of OGG, which really kills the last day. This time, the flights were an 8:30 to HNL and a redeye to Seattle at 10:30.
This gave me a lot more time to spend with my friend - we ended up at Mulligan's bar at one of the Wailea golf courses while we watched the Steelers game as the sun set behind us. A nice way to end the trip.
By the way, Mulligan's is, or tries to be, an Irish pub-type place, so if you're a soccer person, you can get your fix there. They also have the Sunday Ticket and plenty of TV's. My burger was quite tasty, and my friend said that the rest of their food was equally as good, especially the fish and chips.
A couple of things I'd forgotten to mention:
- Was walking down Front Street in Lahaina and was solicited by a disreputable-looking gentleman who inquired as to whether I was interested in the purchase of Maui Wowie. No big deal, I think it should be legalized. The best part was that several of his customers were sampling the product a couple of feet away, as they had left their pipes at home. Love the commitment to customer service.
- I did the Spa at Black Rock (Lomi Lomi style) on day 2 as a way to get into Maui relaxation, and it did the trick. I think they've raised their prices - this one was at the limit of what I'd pay.
- I'm back again in February for two weeks, but that TR will be posted after I get back. I felt like I was working too much on this trip, and the pressure of doing on daily kind of took away from the style I've tried to achieve.
- The February trip will also include some time looking at real estate, as I'm about 90% sure that I'll be moving over there within the next two years, depending on whether or not I can make the business plan work.
- Finally, as always, thanks to the TA community - through your recommendations I found both Maui Eco Tours and Goofy Foot surf school, both of which were excellent choices.
Here's hoping that your hotel can get the ocean to just the right volume when you make your trip(s).