We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour that goes to both Lanai and Molokai the same day?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Tour that goes to both Lanai and Molokai the same day?

Hello,

we will only be there a week and I want to see both islands but don't want to spend two days on snorkel/whatever tours. Any ideas?

Thanks!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,573 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour that goes to both Lanai and Molokai the same day?

Not that I have ever heard of! Most snorkel tours to Lana'i leave from Lahaina, we LOVE the Trilogy Sunset Sail to Lana'i. I know the ferry to Moloka'i, which also leaves from Lahaina, can be a challenge, the channel is rough. Have you checked out the Blue Hawaiian Heli tour that flies over Moloka'i? Just another option. To be honest with only a week stick to exploring Maui.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour that goes to both Lanai and Molokai the same day?

There is a ferry that leaves Lahaina for Lanai and Molokai. Whether you can do it all in one day is a good question. I don't think it's physically possible. Unless you go to Molokai, say Aloha Molokai, then go back to Lahaina and board the ferry and when you get to Lanai, say Aloha Lanai and make it back to the ferry for the last run back to Maui. Pick one or the other, save the other for your next trip!!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour that goes to both Lanai and Molokai the same day?

Dang. I guess I will have to choose between the two! mamma I have my eye on Trilogy, I think we may go with them.

So is a separate day trip to Molokai worth it?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,573 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour that goes to both Lanai and Molokai the same day?

In my mind a week is not enough time to do both. You are missing too much of Maui! In 35 years the Trilogy trip is one of our top 4 excursions we have done on all islands. Great day, great crew and great food!

Livermore...
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour that goes to both Lanai and Molokai the same day?

>So is a separate day trip to Molokai worth it?

Yes, especially now that the trail down to the Kalaupapa Peninsula is open again. There is a lot to explore on the island.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,090 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour that goes to both Lanai and Molokai the same day?

Another option is to take the ferry over and snorkel on your own at Hulopo'e Beach (where Trilogy goes). It is only a 10 minute walk from the ferry dock. This is a much cheaper option, $60/person round trip. You would need to bring rented snorkel gear along from Maui, as there is none available for rent on Lana'i. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.go-lanai.com/

In addition you will still be able to look for whales (in season) and dolphins from the ferry, with the exception that the ferry will not go out of its way to get a better look. Once on Lana'i you can also take a nice short hike up to Pu'u Pehe Overlook (Sweetheart Rock), where you will have great views of Maui and Kaho'olawe. There are also great tidal pools to check out around the beach. You can also take the 5 minute walk up to the Four Seasons Manele Bay Resort and check out the great artwork and beautiful gardens. Lunch at the Ocean Grill there has great views although it is fairly expensive. Otherwise you can bring a picnic lunch and have it right on the beach. There are picnic tables, as well as facilities and showers there.

And if you are really interested in checking out the island, rent a Jeep from Adventure Lana'i Ecocentre and explore all the great isolated off-road sites. Their website is:

http://www.adventurelanai.com/

My only warning is that you will have such a good time on Lana'i that you will not want to return to Maui at the end of the day. ;-)

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,795 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour that goes to both Lanai and Molokai the same day?

What is it you really want to do? You say you want to see both islands. Does that mean you want to drive around both islands, hike on both islands, snorkel both islands?Is there a particular spot you want to visit? If you tell us, we can give you more information tailored to your needs. Given the limitations of transport and time, you won't be able to see much of both; what is it that specifically attracts you to these islands?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour that goes to both Lanai and Molokai the same day?

kaleberg I want to check both islands off my list, really. Since I haven't made it back in 25 years I worry that this may be the only chance I have to see them both, and I already did the rth (all the way around through the lava fields and bad road). But I think I like drvalgemae's idea about the ferry. Maybe we will do 2 days with ferries to the separate islands.

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour that goes to both Lanai and Molokai the same day?

"this may be the only chance I have to see them both"

You won't be able to see much of both islands in a one day trip.

Even two separate days for the two islands would just give you a taste of each.

We did a day tour of Lanai a couple of years ago. Took the ferry, rented a jeep and hit the highlights... very superficial, but we had been there before.

We flew to Molokai a few years ago. We actually stayed there for 4 days and had a chance to really explore the island. The highlight of our trip was that mule ride down to Kalaupapa National Historic Park...... a full days trip. Incredible views and the trail was not very bad.

The history is fascinating, the views are incredible and beautiful... it is one tour that I really enjoyed

I do NOT think that you can do the island of Molokai justice if you only go for a day trip.... and a one day trip to Lanai would certainly be pushing the limits.

10. Re: Tour that goes to both Lanai and Molokai the same day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2011, 05:17