We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years on Maui!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
New Years on Maui!

Aloha!

This is a question for the destination experts (well, anyone who knows the answer actually!). When we lived on Oahu, one of the absolute joys of my boys existance was the ability to do fireworks on New Years. We live in CA now and can't do that.

We will be on Maui NYE and of course will want to do fireworks. We are staying at Hale Hui Kai. Who can tell me where we can do the fireworks? We used to buy them as Costco, can we still? We only want the legal stuff - no airels or permits for fire crackers.

Big Mahalos

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,418 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years on Maui!

Yes, you can still do fireworks on Maui. You can get them almost anywhere. Costco, Safeway, K-Mart, Wal-Mart, etc. The best place closest to where you are staying would be the grassy area down South Kihei Rd. near Kamaole Beach Park lll.

Can't remember whether it's a state thing or county, but after this New Years, on Oahu, they all are going to be illegal. Except firecrackers with a permit.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years on Maui!

Thanks MSfuzz -

Really, Oahu is making them illegal? WOW - are people mad? NYE was huge. I thought I read that July 4 was going to be illegal. On Oahu, we tried to go to a county park (beach by our house, while watching fireworks) and was advised that we had to be on private property. Since we won't really have a do over - I want to be sure that the kids will get this one ;-D.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,418 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years on Maui!

You are right, by the time the 4th rolls around they will be illegal. The law goes into effect on the 1st of Jan. Yes, people are upset but it really didn't seen to make any difference!! Have fun on Maui!!

4. Re: New Years on Maui!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2011, 06:16