We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip planning Advise for 6days/5night trip with 3 year old.

CA
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip planning Advise for 6days/5night trip with 3 year old.

Hi,

We will be in maui from Dec 9 - Dec 14. We are staying at Aston kaanapali shores. We would appreciate if we can get advise on activities to do with 3 year old. We are renting car.

We will also appreciate if we can also get pointers on what to pack (will we need raincoat etc).

Thanks,

Vinita

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip planning Advise for 6days/5night trip with 3 year old.

The Maui Ocean Center is fascinating for kids. We picniced in the Ioa Valley, our 3 yr old had fun hiking the paved trails in the valley. Of course plenty of beach and pool time. Sandcastles and making friends were a highlight.

Severe car sickness hit our tike on the way down Haleakala. So a planned Road to Hana trip got scratched from our plans. We bought pressure point "ride bracelets" that really help her out in the back seat.

Raincoats are not really necessary. We pack less and less each time we visit and now just use carry ons. I would say sun protection is top on what to pack. I couldn't survive a day on Maui without my rashguard. A long sleeve swim shirt and hat is a must for the little one.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,875 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip planning Advise for 6days/5night trip with 3 year old.

Good advise on the MOC and hiking.

Are you staying in a condo unit there? Having a W/D really helps keep the packing down! A couple of swimsuits each with cover-ups, shorts, tanks and T's are you're good to go. As stated sun protection is key for your little one. You can get a whale of a sunburn even on an overcast day so keep a hat on.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip planning Advise for 6days/5night trip with 3 year old.

The best activities with a 3yo are swimming and playing in the sand. Our kids learned how to swim at 4 or 5 so we just brought swim vest for them for in the pool. Pick up a couple of sand toys at Kmart or Walmart. Our kids loved the Maui Ocean Center as well. A washer and dryer in the unit is a must unless you like hanging out in a hot laundry room.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,005 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip planning Advise for 6days/5night trip with 3 year old.

When my granddaughter was three she came to Maui to see me. We painted coconuts that we found on the side of the road. Tried to catch sand crabs at the beach. Made dozens of sand castles and checked out the tide pools. She also was very impressed with the snorkel trip and luau. She wore a hat the whole time we were in the sun and no long sleeve shirt but never got burned because I was very diligent with the sunscreen.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip planning Advise for 6days/5night trip with 3 year old.

Still thinking about this post. Playing under the Banyan Tree in the heart of Lahaina is also a fond memory.

Also, msfuzz, congrats on 7,000 plus this afternoon. Many, many hours of passion for Hawaii I am sure.

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
6. Re: Trip planning Advise for 6days/5night trip with 3 year old.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2011, 06:33