We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying Dec. 14-21 and would appreciate some suggestions :)

New Jersey
14 posts
Save Topic
Staying Dec. 14-21 and would appreciate some suggestions :)

Hi!!

My boyfriend and I will be staying at the Sheraton from the 14-21. We have already rented a car for the week. There are a few things we are definitely planning on doing (Catamaran, Road to Hana, Haleakala, and the Old Lahaina Luau). For the catamaran I am trying to decide between Paragon, Trilogy, Gemini, or Teralani, if anyone has a suggestion on which one to use. For Haleakala we decided to drive instead of do the bike ride because I have read so many negative reviews on this.

I am still trying to decide if we are going to do ziplining, parasailing, ATV tour, horseback riding, and the submarine. If anyone has any suggestions on if these are worth checking out or not, I'd really appreciate it.

I was also wondering if there are any reasonably priced spas near Sheraton, since the prices at the spa at the resort is so expensive!!

I don't want to book too many things, because I also want to have time to spend time on the beach, walk to the village near our hotel, and enjoy ourselves without constantly running from place to place. And I know Road to Hana takes a full day, and I'm not sure if Haleakala is the same. I also read about the swap meet, and was wondering if this is worth checking out to pick up some gifts. Or if we should just check out some local shops.

So I think that is it. I really just want to make sure we hit all of the must-see's, and not waste too much time or money on things that aren't really worth it. So any suggestions would be great!!!

Thank you so much :)

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,000 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying Dec. 14-21 and would appreciate some suggestions :)

Aloha,

Okay........STOP!!! Put the travel guides away, lock your credit card up, and take a deep breath!

You will really only be here six days. You lose a lot of both travel days, and you'll also be tired the first day or so. PLEASE..............don't jam the trip any fuller. Yes, Hana is a full day, and so is Haleakala if you take the time to explore the Upcountry area. That's two days, POOF. A snorkel trip can be as short as about 4.5 hours, or as long as about 8. Three days-POOF!

Where, in here, is just walking together on many different beaches, lazing around and listening to music at Duke's, Hula Grill, etc some afternoon? Maybe going up to the Kapalua Trails and hiking there? Or wandering over to Ho'okipa and Kanaha to watch the wind and kite surfers? I'ao Valley?

The sub is a total waste of money. Parasailing ends Dec. 15th, for the whale season. Last I hear, the ATV tours were down??? Maybe I'm out of date on that. Horseback and Zips are two things I do really rec and like, but you will be running, running, running........and when the bills hit, you may be sorry you didn't take a few days "off".

So much of Maui is best seen from YOUR point of view, not always a tour's. It's an easy place to drive and explore, with many small towns and incredible views almost wherever you turn.

For the cats-Gemini is my fav; Teralani is Mamma's, and Trilogy is BL's. Paragon is a great company-but you do realize their best trip is the all day one to Lana'i? Between them and Trilogy, either one for the all day is a great choice. Trilogy is pricier and fancier food, etc.

Please, slow down.........and heed your own desires where you mentioned not wanting to run from place to place. Have fun-remember, Maui will "bite" you and you'll be back!

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying Dec. 14-21 and would appreciate some suggestions :)

first for the bad news about parasailing

""" We operate every day from May 16 through December 14 each year. The migration of the Humpback Whale through the Hawaiian waters prevents us from operating year round""".

i would suggest the zip line - either at the ranch or the flying hawaiian

"""regarding the swap meet and was wondering if this is worth checking out to pick up some gifts. Or if we should just check out some local shops.""

you will see lots of local vendors at the swap meet and they are all at one location making your shopping a lot easier -- there is a lot more to see/buy at the meet then just gifts -- clothes-food-flowers- fruit etc etrc

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying Dec. 14-21 and would appreciate some suggestions :)

Ah sw, I knew we could count on you! There are WAY too many activities here.

Im2424, we learned the hard way last year (and our 4th trip even...should have known better) that Maui time RULES! We tried whale watch, Ocean Center, and luau in one day and almost ruined our trip. A full day on the beach after that is what saved it.

The Sheraton is in a great location to just wander around. Relax and enjoy.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,476 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying Dec. 14-21 and would appreciate some suggestions :)

You don't want to do the Submarine!

Yes, I like Trilogy catamarans -- and I recommend that whatever company you choose -- go in the morning (seas are calmer generally).

The Road to Hana is an ALL day deal. Haleakala you can couple with Maui Ocean Center or Iao Needle easily. Or goof around Up-Country ... Makawao is my fave.

No need to go to the swap meet at all. It isn't handy to Ka'anapali. However, you will find plenty of places to shop for souvenirs in Whaler's Village ... and you should go into Lahaina for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner and browse. Great shopping and historic sites and restaurants. Only about a 10 minutes drive from your hotel.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying Dec. 14-21 and would appreciate some suggestions :)

sorry blbl but i totally disagree with you -- yes its a bit of a drive but it is maui and you can see the scenery when you get there

""No need to go to the swap meet at all. It isn't handy to Ka'anapali. However, you will find plenty of places to shop for souvenirs in Whaler's Village""

imo the stuff you can see/buy at whalers village is a lot more commercial/mass produced (maybe not even made on maui) then the local stuff you can buy at the swap meet

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,460 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying Dec. 14-21 and would appreciate some suggestions :)

Lou...been to the Totally Hawaiian Store or Martin &MaCarthur? Sand People? All in Whaler's Village, and all a short stroll from the Sheraton with many amazing local products.

I'm with the rest of the crew here...if it makes you feel better make a crazy itinerary and your list is. Put it in your carry-on and crumple it up and toss it when you land. Also make a list of things you would LIKE to do, keep that...then every morning make your choices on your lanai over your coffee. You will be amazed at the number of "expensive activities" that you do not NEED to do!

I'm the nay-sayer on these boards, in your short time-frame I would not do either the Road to Hana OR Haleakala. You can save the "religious experience "for your next trip. You're gonna be amazed how the flight screw s up your bio's. Take time to get on and enjoy "island time". You're coming at a quiet time so reservations should still be possible. As sw said...take a breathe..relax. You're on Maui!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
572 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying Dec. 14-21 and would appreciate some suggestions :)

The swap meet is a very colorful place. You can shop the stands and greet some of Maui's residents at the same time. You'll enjoy very reasonable prices, and the profits stay on the island as well.

We combine an hour or so at the swap meet on Saturday morning, followed with a hike and picnic in the Ioa Valley. It's an affordable day to balance with your other paid activites.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,476 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying Dec. 14-21 and would appreciate some suggestions :)

Well, Lou -- I can think of several places in Lahaina that carry locally made (or ONLY locally made) items. WOW - one of my faves is on Front Street - about the middle of the main drag - open air ... ladies make their own beaded necklaces and bracelets. Excellent prices. Also - when the crafts are under the banyan tree ... and Maui hands ... other places as well.

Whalers Village -- also some locally made items ... thinking of Sand People's jewelry ... AND Martin & MacArthur - new BIG store in Whaler's Village - and they are sticklers about only carrying Hawaii-made items.

Don't jumpt to conclusions, Lou. There is alot of junky imports in the ABC Stores (not everything) - but there are other good opportunities to buy local than the swap meet.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying Dec. 14-21 and would appreciate some suggestions :)

Lou...been to the Totally Hawaiian Store or Martin &MaCarthur? Sand People? All in Whaler's Village, and all a short stroll from the Sheraton with many amazing local products.>>

yes and i think some of their prices reflect the cost of renting a shop in the whalers viillage -- at the swap meet you tend to meet the person who made the item rather then a salesperson at the village --- just my opinion and im sticking to it

blbl -- not jumping to conclusions at all -- never suggested that anyone shop at the abc store

i know there are other places to shop locally but i really like the swap meet to meet locals and find so much stuff all under one "roof"

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,000 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying Dec. 14-21 and would appreciate some suggestions :)

Aloha,

I may be shattering some illusions here...........but many of the vendors at the Swap Meet also sell their wares at the various craft fairs all over the island.

I will really stick my foot in it......and advise all of you that there are some items sold at any/all of these places that aren't made in Hawaii. Sorry, but it is true.

Can you get some fun/good deals? Sure. Is it the same quality as a koa box from M&M? Not a chance, Lou. It ain't just the rent-it's the quality of the wood, the workmanship, and much more. The first is fun and may or may not last. The second is an heirloom piece.