We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trilogy Molokini or Kaanapali snorkel tour?

Seattle
5 posts
Save Topic
Trilogy Molokini or Kaanapali snorkel tour?

My boyfriend and I are leaving for Maui next Thursday. I am having a hard time deciding on which snorkeling cruise to take. We did the Trilogy Lanai tour last December and loved it. We definitely want to take another Trilogy tour but I am having trouble narrowing it down to the Molokini (we have never been there) or the “Kaanapali Snorkel”. With the Kaanapali snorkel the boat either goes to Honolua bay, Cliffhouse or Old Olowalu (per Trilogy). Has anyone done the Kaanapali snorkel and have thoughts or suggestions? My only concern with the Molokini tour is the apparent lack of fish according to other posters.

I have learned an amazing amount on this forum, thank you everyone.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,527 Reviews
Maui, HI
Honolua Bay
Honolua Bay
737 Reviews
Maui, HI
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,880 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trilogy Molokini or Kaanapali snorkel tour?

where are you staying...the west side tours load from Kaanapali or Lahaina. It's a slow time, check the weather Honolua is great if the surf's not up.

Mentioned in this post
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,527 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Honolua Store
Honolua Store
670 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,276 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trilogy Molokini or Kaanapali snorkel tour?

Any of these areas would be fine for snorkeling. I happen to really like Molokini, others not so much. I've been out there 5 or 6 times and always saw a bunch of fish. Surf will actually dictate which areas Trilogy will take you.

For info on just exactly how many and what kind of fish you will see at Molokini check out this web-site. Make sure you scroll down to the middle of the page.

reef.org/db/…2010-12-03

Edited: 03 December 2010, 17:26
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,243 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trilogy Molokini or Kaanapali snorkel tour?

Yep - have taken the "Discover Ka'anapali" snorkel sail a few times. Excellent. Take the early morning sail. Have had excellent snorkeling this time of the year - but it is always nice that they pick the best spot of the day.

Molokini -- gets real crowded with boats and b*tts. It's fun to fly over. Has had issues with big fish intrusion - because folks were feeding the fish. I hear that it is better now.

If you are staying in W Maui - the Ka'anapli sail is alot handier.

Mentioned in this post
Ka'anapali
Ka'anapali
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trilogy Molokini or Kaanapali snorkel tour?

My wife and I did the Molikini tour with Trilogy and loved it. The staff was great and I thought the snorkeling was pretty good (although I'm probably more of a novice snorkeler). We went to see the turtles as well. The entire tour was wonderful and I would do it again.

Seattle
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trilogy Molokini or Kaanapali snorkel tour?

We are staying at KBH for four days, where I understand Trilogy takes off from for the Kaanapali Snorkel and a week in Lahaina. Thanks for the link msfuzz, that is very interesting! I'm leaning towards the Molokini trip as this will be my third time to Maui and I still haven't done it. Thanks for all the advice!

Mentioned in this post
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,527 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,276 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trilogy Molokini or Kaanapali snorkel tour?

Your welcome, Rozzzie!! Have a great time.

BLBL, big fish infusion? Feeding fish? Where did you hear this? Molokini is one of the very few places in Hawaii that it is actually illegal to feed fish. Actually the fish at Molokini and the other MLCD's do get big because it's illegal to fish for them so they actually grow up

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Belize
Level Contributor
52 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trilogy Molokini or Kaanapali snorkel tour?

I was on Pride of America two weeks ago and went to Molokini on a boat that left from Maalea harbor. It was the closest place to Kahului where out ship was at port. The tour was awesome and the boat wasnt croweded. I can't remember the name of the boat, it was some hawaiian name, of course. I booked with www.hawaiicruiseexcursions.com and while i don't know about the other tours, ours was excellent. Im jealous, would love to be planning our next hawaii trip...maybe next year!!!

Mentioned in this post
Pride of Maui
Pride of Maui
1,447 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,968 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trilogy Molokini or Kaanapali snorkel tour?

Aloha,

Well, not to date myself TOO terribly-but indeed, fish feeding at Molokini was huge and did result in an imbalance of the natural systems there some years back. In fact, the problems caused by the bad practices were the root of the designation as a MCLD, Fuzzy.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trilogy Molokini or Kaanapali snorkel tour?

We did the Trilogy Kaanapali tour several years ago. Clarity was good, there were some fish and even some sea turtles. It was a very pleasant day.

Mentioned in this post
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,527 Reviews
Maui, HI
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,243 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trilogy Molokini or Kaanapali snorkel tour?

<<BLBL, big fish infusion? Feeding fish? Where did you hear this? Molokini is one of the very few places in Hawaii that it is actually illegal to feed fish. Actually the fish at Molokini and the other MLCD's do get big because it's illegal to fish for them so they actually grow up>>

There have been a number of long threads on Molokini ... the issue with the big guys moving in has been brought up repeatedly. As I said, it has been reported that the situations is better now ... some enforcement perhaps??

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States