We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what part of maui

Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
what part of maui

Go to mexico 3 x a year, first time to maui--don' have a clue. Where and why I should go.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,799 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what part of maui

That's your decision, amigo. Pick up a couple good travel guides and a map. Go to www.hawaii.com. Certainly each of us can give you a dandy sell job about the island, because if we didn't love it ... we would be here. I ain't Mexico. You are definitely free to move around the island within U.S. health, safety and public safety standards. U.S. currency.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
534 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what part of maui

Why to go to Maui?

That's easy--it's the USA.

And all of the wonderful things we enjoy, and probably take for granted, like

safe water, police presence, freedom to explore, no money exchange, no language barrier, no agressive peddlers, no worries about crooked Mexican cops pulling you over and demanding a fee to let you go.....................

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: what part of maui

Hawaii and Mexico have nothing in common beyond the beaches. Hawaii is one of the safest, most cultural, most spiritual destinations on Earth. If you think Hawaii is just sun, sand and shopping, come visit.

It is a place to enrich you, body and soul!

4. Re: what part of maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 December 2010, 23:43
Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what part of maui

safe water, police presence, freedom to explore, no money exchange, no language barrier, no agressive peddlers, no worries about crooked Mexican cops pulling you over and demanding a fee to let you go.....................

Agree-I would add one more-no Immigration and Customs-I absolutely detest it!

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what part of maui

I cannot and will not defend the violence and corruption that plague Mexico, but at least I can point out that it is just as spiritual and just as beautiful as Hawaii. It also has a lot more variety on a much larger scale, with mountain ranges, beaches, deserts, jungles, fantastic ruins, a canyon larger than the Grand, and a mix of highly diverse Indian and European cultures. It has active volcanoes, too. It also has superb food, and some great cooking schools, Amberloo, even if you do have to watch your drinking water.

We all love Hawaii, and it is certainly more convenient and much safer than Mexico, but there's no need to dump all over a fascinating, if flawed, neighbor.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what part of maui

It's my belief that if you have no idea where or why you would want to go perhaps you shouldn't!!

8. Re: what part of maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 December 2010, 23:43
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what part of maui

I think the OP was asking what part he should stay in and why...not why HI over Mexico....in any case, Craigpop, depends on what kind of experience you are looking for what time of year, famkily or couple ot solo etc. More info on when you are visitng, the type of activites you are interested in , condo or hotel, resort area or not. then I know the TA advisors can help you more. There is a ton of info to be gained from the boards here. They have certainly helped me a lot when I am planning :)

Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what part of maui

you hit the nail on the head!!!