We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Childfree in Maui

butler, nj
Level Contributor
324 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Childfree in Maui

DH and I are childfree and wanted to know of any restaurants we should avoid (especially for dinner) that have an overabundence of children in Maui? I know we are going Xmas week and I'm sure we will encounter families, but if there are certain places that usually cater to families, we would appreciate knowing in advance so we can avoid them. Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Childfree in Maui

I think it may be a question of timing more than restaurant choice. We saw children everywhere we went (Roy's, Mala, Halimaile G.S.) at all price points, but we were typically dinign between 5 and 6 pm. If you pushed that back to 7 or 8, I'm guessing it would really cut down on the kids.

butler, nj
Level Contributor
324 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Childfree in Maui

Thanks, we do that often, but find that most parents are mindless when on vacation. We go around the 8:00 PM timeframe and almost always there is some family having a late meal with their children who are way too tired and causing a lot of racket (and I'm not talking BK, KFC, McD's, Applebees, etc). I just wish people would use more common sense and think of other's before they go out or at least go out when their youngster is use to having dinner. Too bad there isn't a "childfree" section in restaurants like there use to be "nonsmoking" sections!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
311 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Childfree in Maui

David Paul's Lahaina Grill was childfree.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
311 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Childfree in Maui

Also, avoid Cheeseburger's in Paradise in Lahaina.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Childfree in Maui

We must see the world through different prisms. I've been to almost all the islands many times, and I've yet to have a meal spoiled by the presence of children. Everywhere I have eaten in Oahu, the Big Island, Lanai, and Maui there have been children, and they were all well behaved and happy. For some reason, there were never any children at the restaurants where I dined in Kauai. I will say that I avoid large, noisy chain restaurants, but there were kids at the Hau Tree Lanai, Izakaya Gaku, the Pineapple Room, Chef Mavro's, La Mer, House without a Key, and Alan Wong's, and all were a joy to see and no problem at all to hear.

California
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Childfree in Maui

I would take my kids to any of those, but would expect them to be on their best behaviour! On vacation we really don't hav emuch choice- our normal childminders are not available. We are getting close to the point where we might leave them to their devices in the room for an hour or two- but the point of our family vacations is family time after all.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Childfree in Maui

Maybe its just NJ where they're bad no common sense parents lettng their children be up at all ours of the night eating.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Childfree in Maui

It is too bad Chez Paul closed in 2009. That was our favorite "adults only" restaurant. They used to have a non-PC saying something like "leave the crying babies at home".

Otherwise, the Lahaina Grill is no longer David Pauls. But the now named simply Lahaina Grill would still be a good option. Also, David Paul has a new restaurant of his own, but I don't have any details on this. But here is a link:

http://davidpaulsislandgrill.com/

My DW and I also are childfree and this is an important issue for us too. I always scan the restaurant as we are being seated, and if we are being placed too close to a noisy family, I simply ask for a "quieter table".

On what side of the island are you staying? I would suggest Spago or Ferraro at the Four Seasons Wailea if you are on the south side. But go after 8 pm for sure.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Childfree in Maui

I think it depends on the parents we took our daughter with us most times that we went out to eat when she was growing up since we haven't lived around any family since she was very small and she always behaved but she knew that was what was expected of her.

I think it's the parents who let the kids run the show in all aspects of their family life is where the problem begins.

I do agree that when it starts getting late younger kids tend to get sleepy and can get cranky especially on vacation parents should plan accordingly.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,796 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Childfree in Maui

Maybe you could tell us exactly what area of Maui you are staying. HUH? Those people with families tend to go all over, you know. I'd say Wailea is a bit better, because there are fewer rich kids and they are much more cultured. :)

Some have said..."Caddy, you and your brood! Why don't you go elsewhere and "decrease the surplus food eating places with way too many kids".

Childfree! I say "Bah Humbug"!