We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swap meet

Alberta
Level Contributor
89 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Swap meet

Does anyone know if the swap meet is open on the 24th? I heard this rumor and hope it is true. Otherwise, we will miss it as we are getting to Maui on the 21st land leaving on the 28th... the last post I read from a different message stated that they would not open on the 25th?

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,092 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swap meet

their web site doesnt say anything about the 24th -- but here is the link and you can email them or call -- i found the link on google

www.mauiexposition.com/MAUISWAPMEET.html

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swap meet

The swap meet is fine ... great ... but please, don't worry about it! There are SO many places to buy souvenirs and gifts! The swap meet location is generally very inconvenient for most people. I mean, if I had the time - sure, but you will be in Hawaii, so enjoy your family!

Tell us where you are staying, and we can guide you to the shopping areas. I love to browse and shop ... I'm not anti-shopping ...

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swap meet

Depends on how long you're going to be on Maui. Last year during our 6 week stay, we went every Saturday to replenish flowers and get our fresh vegetables. After that we would go to Tasty Crust for breakfast. Then to Costco if we needed anything. Then back to the Eldorado and the cabana.

If you're only there for a week or two, it's not that important. The locals use the Swap Meet for socializing, not just to buy stuff

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,060 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swap meet

Maui Swap Meet is much more than just another place to buy souvenirs and gifts. There is an outstanding Farmer's Market section with produce, fresh flowers, and homebaked goodies. Perhaps not as appealing to people who stay in hotels, but very nice for condo-dwellers. I have bought many items from local vendors/crafts people that I have not found anywhere else. Favoites include colorful shirts and artwork by Mark Jamgochian (brown hippie van) and chef's aprons in tropical fabrics made and sold by a lady in Kihei. Shopping in the early morning air with the West Maui mountains looming nearby is much more appealing for me than stores and shopping malls. Convenient from Kihei/Wailea, but not so much if staying Kaanapali and beyond.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swap meet

From Lougees website (ty lougee) it actually looks pretty cool and has made it spyonlines list to do on Maui.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swap meet

My wife has an untold amount of tshirts from Mark the hippie. Very nice guy and if you are on Maui for any amount of time, he'll custom make some shirts for you for pickup the next Saturday.

Rex

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swap meet

Really folks ... with the vast array of shopping opportunties of all kinds on Maui ... you would advise momtaxi with her short vacation to drive to Kahului on Christmas Eve? I sure wouldn't. Again, if we knew where taximom was staying and what she was looking for -- it would help.

Edited: 09 December 2010, 21:37
Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swap meet

BLBL

I don't think anyone is really pushing the OP to go to Kahului. A question was asked and several responses were given. It's up to the OP to make a final decision.

Alberta
Level Contributor
89 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swap meet

I really appreciate all of the replies. We are staying in Wailea if that helps with the replies. Any shopping tips are gratefully accepted.

10. Re: Swap meet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2011, 05:19