We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Adventures or Safari for snorkel trip to Lanai?

Level Contributor
685 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Maui Adventures or Safari for snorkel trip to Lanai?

Trying to decide betwen Safari and Maui Adventures for snorkel trip to Lanai? I don't find much on TA for Maui Adventures but the concierge suggested Safari and Maui Adventures. Safari is a substantial amount more, but if it's worth it then we will do it. There are 6 of us, ages 12-52.

Need to book asap. Leaving next week! Woohoo!

Thanks so very much!

Level Contributor
685 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Adventures or Safari for snorkel trip to Lanai?

Anybody? Please!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,165 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Adventures or Safari for snorkel trip to Lanai?

Our fav trip to Lana'i is with Trilogy. We have done the sunset cruise and it's one of our all time fave excursions on all the islands. An amazing day.

Level Contributor
685 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Adventures or Safari for snorkel trip to Lanai?

Why is it your favorite? What sets them apart?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,165 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Adventures or Safari for snorkel trip to Lanai?

The crew was amazing, great boat ride and we saw whales and dolphins, wonderful food, hubbie loved the shorkeling and we enjoyed the van tour to Lanai City. The also offer an optional snorkel on a smaller boat to another location while on Lana'i. Many people orefer their sunrise trip but we're not early risers.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,811 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Adventures or Safari for snorkel trip to Lanai?

Another vote, vote, vote for Trilogy! Paragon is also highly regarded here.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Adventures or Safari for snorkel trip to Lanai?

Maui Adventure is our favorite for whale watches - we go with them several times each visit. We have been on their Lanai trip once as well and comparing it to Trilogy is like comparing apples and oranges IMHO. (we have done the Trilogy trip too) Each is very good - but the Maui Adventure is just snorkeling - therefore less cost and time. Trilogy is pretty much all day and includes on island time - Maui Adventure is snorkeling off shore. So it depends on what kind of experience you are looking for.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Adventures or Safari for snorkel trip to Lanai?

Another option is to take the ferry over and snorkel on your own at Hulopo'e Beach (where Trilogy goes). It is only a 10 minute walk from the ferry dock. This is a much cheaper option, $60/person round trip. You would need to bring rented snorkel gear along from Maui, as there is none available for rent on Lana'i. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.go-lanai.com/

In addition you will still be able to look for whales (in season) and dolphins from the ferry, with the exception that the ferry will not go out of its way to get a better look. Once on Lana'i you can also take a nice short hike up to Pu'u Pehe Overlook (Sweetheart Rock), where you will have great views of Maui and Kaho'olawe. There are also great tidal pools to check out around the beach. You can also take the 5 minute walk up to the Four Seasons Manele Bay Resort and check out the great artwork and beautiful gardens. Lunch at the Ocean Grill there has great views although it is fairly expensive. Otherwise you can bring a picnic lunch and have it right on the beach. There are picnic tables, as well as facilities and showers there.

And if you are really interested in checking out the island, rent a Jeep from Adventure Lana'i Ecocentre and explore all the great isolated off-road sites. Their website is:

http://www.adventurelanai.com/

My only warning is that you will have such a good time on Lana'i that you will not want to return to Maui at the end of the day. ;-)

Level Contributor
685 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui Adventures or Safari for snorkel trip to Lanai?

Just booked with Safari! So excited! Thanks everyone, and have a bessed Christmas!

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
748 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui Adventures or Safari for snorkel trip to Lanai?

Hve fun! If you want another trip or go again do it with Ocean Riders- you can find them on TA- tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g29219-d73…

Hawaii
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui Adventures or Safari for snorkel trip to Lanai?

If you want to go on a day trip to Lanai, Trilogy is by far the best. They are the only company allowed to bring you to Hulopoe Beach. This is a marine preserve that has been rated as America's best beach by Dr. Beach. Also, they limit the number of people they take on each tour.

The reason the activity desks are recommending Maui Adventures and Safari is because that's what they make money on if they sell it to you. Trilogy does not allow that many activity desks to sell their tours. I'm guessing it's because they are so popular they probably don't need to.

Paragon would be a second good choice if Trilogy is sold out.