We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui shakes rattles and Rolls

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,451 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Maui shakes rattles and Rolls

A small 3.8 quake shook those in south Maui yesterday morning. It was located off Kahoolawe, was felt in Kihei and friends of mine who were diving and snorkeling Ulua Beach in Wailea.

Don't forget about the total lunar eclipse tomorrow night starting about 8:30pm!!

Edited: 19 December 2010, 17:35
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui shakes rattles and Rolls

I felt the quake -- was at my friend's house in Kula -- the quake rumbled through for about 10 secs ... DH who was outside putting things in the car didn't feel it!

Hope there aren't too many clouds to see the eclipse from Kauai...!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,156 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui shakes rattles and Rolls

Aloha,

Yep, trust me.........it was felt on the West side too. No damage noted anywhere, but I had to rearrange a few things afterwards. This was odd, in that it was technically weaker than the one on Nov. 24, but it was more intense at my place than that one. Must have been centered more towards "my" side of Kahoolawe.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui shakes rattles and Rolls

Yep, felt the small tremor over here on Molokai too. I was at the Saturday Market and my chair and felt it shake a little bit. I thought it may have been a big firetruck going by because there had just been a bad car accident but when I returned hone my husband said that he had felt a quake. Glad that it was a small one with no damage.

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui shakes rattles and Rolls

me too! i was sitting on my chair in my booth at our saturday market. i timed it at 10.15 am to see if it was my imagination ....or in my tummy! i thought i was the only one who felt it because i asked the people next to me.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui shakes rattles and Rolls

Guess we were the only observant ones at the market Halemalu. I hope this one and the last one aren't an prelude to something grumbling up! Just happy that we're up on the mountain now and not down by the water. I have a severe fear of tsunamis. Many years ago before we started coming to Hawaii I used to have a reoccuring dream about a huge wave rolling in while I was somewhere on a shoreline. I would try to head inland and go up a mountain to no avail.

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui shakes rattles and Rolls

haha! i know someone who dreamt of tsunamis and then woke up to a wet bed.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,156 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui shakes rattles and Rolls

Aloha,

I saw that the western part of your fair island got 2.5 inches of rain in about 2 hours this morning...........so better look up for the wave, Dolphin!!!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui shakes rattles and Rolls

Nah, we didn't get but a sprinkle..........no wave and no wet bed guys. Thanks for the good laugh! We did get to see the Big Island way off in the distance this morning though. I was told that it's really rare to see the Big Island from Molokai. Of course we see Maui, Lanai, and Kahoolawe but I was surprised that on such an gloomy overcast morning we also saw Mauna Loa. Cool! Hope it clears so that we can see the eclipse tonight but it doesn't look too promising!

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui shakes rattles and Rolls

Darn them tectonic plates! Be safe everyone and keep Christmas shopping! :)

Socal
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui shakes rattles and Rolls

We had a 3.2 on Wednesday evening, located about 10 miles away near Malibu. I hear the SF Bay Area had a small shaker today. We're all slipping away!!