We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2011 Maui propane shortage

Quincy, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
2011 Maui propane shortage

Was just informed that we would be unable to heat the pool, the hot tub or use tiki torches at a home we have rented on Maui due to propane shortage. Rental is prepaid and I can't find anything about a current shortage when I googled it. Wondering if the price is just high and they don't want to pay it. If anyone knows anything please advise.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,617 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2011 Maui propane shortage

Aloha,

I haven't heard a word about a propane shortage. It does happen occasionally, often over holiday periods when the inter island barges and container ships are running on a reduced schedule.

I usually fill my tanks at Miyake's. Here's a link to their website-with all their phone numbers-you could call them tomorrow and ask. I'm pretty sure they're closed today.

http://www.miyakeconcrete.com/locations.html

Air Liquide is also a propane retailer here, but they don't have a local website and I have always found them more expensive.

Where is the house you're renting and when?

Quincy, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2011 Maui propane shortage

The owner mentioned GASCO. The home has a Lahaina address. Think it's up the hill south of Lahaina maybe Kai Hale Ku. We will be staying at a resort for a few days and then going to the home when the rest of our family get there. That will be Jan. 15-22. Thanks.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,617 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2011 Maui propane shortage

Aloha,

If it's on Kai Hele Ku, (not Hale), it's in Laniupoko. Yes, that's south of Lahaina town, up on the mountain. Just FYI..........it's not a legal vacation rental area and vacation rentals have been a very sore topic there. There are a couple of exceptions.........hope you're staying in one of them.

It's GasPro, not GasCo. Here's a link with their info:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?rlz=1C1SNNT_enUS356US356&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=gaspro+maui&fb=1&gl=us&hq=gaspro&hnear=Maui&cid=18149125901653596924

P.S. I'm not finding the owner's story very credible, BTW.

Edited: 01 January 2011, 17:19
California
Level Contributor
5,756 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2011 Maui propane shortage

Exactly why so many pools aren't heated in Hawaii. It cost's a fortune to heat them with propane. Many private homes and villa's charge a extra fee to heat a pool.

Quincy, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2011 Maui propane shortage

We were told that there was a fee to heat the pool and would have paid it. However, the owner was to pay for the jacuzzi, fire pit and tiki torches.

Quincy, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2011 Maui propane shortage

They gave me the address in two different places and it was misspelled once. It is Kai Hele Ku. I hope it is legal, too. They belong to BBB, but guess that doesn't mean much. I will contact the gas co. on Monday and see what they say. We were to pay to heat the pool but they were to heat the steam room, outside jacuzzi, tiki torches and fire pit. All of which are now going to be turned off. The trip is insured, but don't think breaking the contract for this is an acceptable reason although they mention disruption to gas or electric service. We MIGHT get our money back but owners would still be paid. I imagine propane has really raised in price because gasoline, fuel oil,etc. on the mainland has rocketed since Christmas. Thanks for the continued info.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,617 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2011 Maui propane shortage

Aloha,

"Disruption" in gas or electrical system typically means due to a storm, fire, or other emergency........not a supposed shortage.

Why am I suspicious? Well, you're not arriving for more than 2 weeks and they have a **magic** coconut wireless with info no one else does. This just doesn't smell right (kind of like that 'rotten egg' smell they add to propane, LOL).

Our gas prices have NOT skyrocketed here. They've been hovering in the 4.00 gal. for regular range (3.85-4.00) for many months. Propane hasn't shot up either.

My thought is perhaps the bill with GasPro hasn't been paid........and they've been cut off. Sorry to be so suspicious, but since the hotels all have huge propane tanks, as do many of the condo resorts, this would be making the news if it were true.

If you confirm with the company that there's no shortage........I believe you have a strong case for cancelling with a full refund. Try to get something in writing from GasPro.

Maui
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2011 Maui propane shortage

If the owner is having a large tank filled, it could easily be that the Propane truck comes to the house to fill the tank. The Gas Company delivers.

The Gas Company (Maui)

70 Hana Highway

Kahului, Hawaii 96732

Phone: (808)877-6557

Fax: (808)877-0758

Check with them about a supposed shortage. I haven't heard anything here either.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,617 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2011 Maui propane shortage

Happy NY, Timm!!

You're right........I wonder which one it is-GasPro or the Gas Company. From the first posts, I though it was another typo from the ??property manager?? since they'd misspelled Kai Hele Ku. I just figured "GasCo" should have been "GasPro", but maybe not....doesn't matter much since they are parts of the same company.

Either way........doesn't add up.

Edited: 01 January 2011, 20:44
Quincy, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2011 Maui propane shortage

Looked again and she specifically said GASCO. I believe they do have propane delivered. I will be calling them on Monday and see if this story is bogus. It seemed wrong to me from the beginning (that's why I started this post). If it is all wrong I may ask my lawyer friend to help us out. Hopefully it's much ado about nothing and they will relent.