We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui-Best Store for Resturant Quality Steaks? Gourmet Food?

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
78 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Maui-Best Store for Resturant Quality Steaks? Gourmet Food?

Hi-We are staying in HANA for 4 nights, (Have kitchen/grill) and need to get groceries. Am looking for where to get restaurant quality steaks? (Filets) I see a Whole Foods just opened....Any local recomendations?

Was also thinking of just ordering OMAHA Steaks and having them delivered to the bungalow we're renting...

Any food lovers out there who can offer advice?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,274 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui-Best Store for Resturant Quality Steaks? Gourmet Food?

Aloha,

Don't order Omaha Steaks. I do once in a while,not the steaks but other things--but the shipping is EXPENSIVE. And to Hana........nope, I wouldn't even chance it.

You're staying in Wailea, right? The best of the best meat is on the West side, at Maui Prime. If it works you could buy there the day you are in Lahaina after the luau maybe?

I haven't bought any of Whole Paycheck's steaks. I have bought their smoke meat and also smoked chicken. I thought their price for what looked to be less than Maui Prime's quality was just too high.

Don't laugh.....but your best bet may well be Costco, for convenience. They often have prime as well as choice grades, 3 or 4 steaks to a package.

You could also scope out Foodland-I like their Black Angus Beef better than Safeway's or Times.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
78 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui-Best Store for Resturant Quality Steaks? Gourmet Food?

YOU ARE AGAIN FABULOUS! Just checked out the website, and this is EXACTLY the kind of market I was looking for......Would have never found this myself. And yes, we can stop there on our way from Lahiana to Hana!

Thank you again!

http://www.mauiprime.com/

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,128 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui-Best Store for Resturant Quality Steaks? Gourmet Food?

as usual sw beat me to it! Duh. Costco is great for beef for us because local beef is just too high for my budget, but I'm feeding a crew. If it was just the 2 of us I might well pop for it!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,015 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui-Best Store for Resturant Quality Steaks? Gourmet Food?

This is going to sound weird, but oh so true, check Longs Drugs. They feature local Maui Beef. You never had it so good. Price is very reasonable. Located right in Kihei.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
48,274 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui-Best Store for Resturant Quality Steaks? Gourmet Food?

Aloha,

Duchess, you're welcome. And Maui Prime does carry the higher end cuts of Maui Cattle Co beef, if you decide that's what you want.

For those who may not know-Cary Button was one of the original 3 guys who owned "Fish and Game", which later became Maui Brewing Co. Fish and Game was a sports bar and seafood market......I know, sounds weird, but hey............it's Maui!

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui-Best Store for Resturant Quality Steaks? Gourmet Food?

That's glad to know that about Maui Prime and one of the former owners of the Fish and Game bar. We have a lots of good memories from that place.....

Rex

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
48,274 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui-Best Store for Resturant Quality Steaks? Gourmet Food?

Aloha,

Happy New Year Rex!

Yep, Cary and Tommy stayed on there at Fish and Game, while the 3rd partner went over to Lanai and ran the restaurant in the Hotel Lanai for several years. He later split, Bev Gannon took that over with the current owners--she was the 'consultant' or some similar title.

In the meantime Tommy moved to Vegas, Cary and Karin took FIsh and Game over as sole owners. Then they sold it and opened Maui Prime about +/-5 years ago.

I can't afford to shop there often........but oh, boy........when I do I cherish every bite, LOL!

Edited: 02 January 2011, 03:24
Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui-Best Store for Resturant Quality Steaks? Gourmet Food?

Ahhh, now makes sense Thanks SW

I knew someone else took over at some point about 5 years or so ago. When the local bar stool scenery changed and the food took a nosedive (in my opinion)

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,934 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui-Best Store for Resturant Quality Steaks? Gourmet Food?

We have purchased Maui beef at Longs as well. I LOVE to purchase local meat, fish, and produce while traveling. One of the really guilty pleasures for me is to NOT go budget on food while traveling since it is just the two of us and we enjoy making food together then dining on our lanai.

The OP didn't ask, but I will for others who cook and might be reading this post. How about a nice fish market and a farmers market for produce? I've tried several and have not been particularly satisfied so we defaulted to Costco. Better choices if budget is not an issue?

Edited: 02 January 2011, 14:47
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui-Best Store for Resturant Quality Steaks? Gourmet Food?

I'm going to echo SWMarket about Foodland's beef. Theirs was the best beef we had on Maui. Anyone else find Costco beef 'water-y' of late?