We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fine dining

Kitchener, Ontario...
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Fine dining

We are travelling to Maui later this week! Just wondered if there are any restaurants on the island that require men to wear closed-toed shoes. If so we may either choose to pack them or forgo those places altogether!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,970 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fine dining

I don't know a single place on Maui that requires them, Hubbie wears his "nice" sandals rather than flip-flops...very formal! :-)

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,032 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fine dining

im not sure there is a restaurant that requires long pants

California
Level Contributor
35,245 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fine dining

I didn't see a sandal at Merrimans!!!! All the men I oogled over (did I say that?) were dressed quite nicely in slacks and aloha shirts and not a flip flop to be seen. I'm sure it isn't required, but Merriman's was a pretty nice restaurant.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,032 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fine dining

not the finest restaurant on the island and certainly not the worst but i wore my swim trunks and tee shirt with sandals to cafe o lei for dinner one nite

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,970 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fine dining

Jebett oogling gentlemen at Merriman's on a "ladies" trip...call the press! Hubbie's ARE nice leather sandals! :-)

California
Level Contributor
35,245 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fine dining

Like you've never oogled before!!!!!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,522 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fine dining

Jebett........why do you think Mamma talks about that great view from her lanai all the time??!!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,970 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fine dining

TeeHee...why do you think I always have binocular's!!! Sheesh! Plan ahead!

Grass Valley...
Level Contributor
124 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fine dining

Personally, I would not wear sandals to Momma's Fish House. The place is nice, the food is expensive, and you should at least attempt to show a little class their but that's just my opinion.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,970 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fine dining

A little story...on our first trip, with plans to eat at Mama's, we packed long pants and close-toed shoes for the Hubbie, I wore a silk dress...which I still wear to nicer places...we looked around and felt terribly over-dressed. While I still wear a nice sundress for dinner, hubbie has booted (no pun intended) shoes for sandals and normally wears the one pair of khaki's we pack. And we have all felt quite comfortable in shorts and tanks at lunch at our "Aloha" lunch before boarding our plane. I admit that the price of luggage has swayed our style!