We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Headed to Maui on 1/15

Arizona
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Headed to Maui on 1/15

Am headed to Maui on 1/15 for a brief trip. Last time we were there was 11/2009 with my sister and my parents. This time, I have to leave hubby and our 2 kids at home (ages 4 and 2) because we just can't afford it. My mother passed away in September from cancer, so this trip is with my dad and sister to scatter the remains at sea per her wishes. Maui was 1 of her favorite places.

So you could say that this is not going to be a pleasurable trip. However, 1 thing I AM looking forward to is lunch at Da Kitchen. My sister has never been there and we're going to have a late lunch there after our flights arrive before we go back to the airport to pick up our father (all of our flights arrive within a few hours of each other). Normally, my sister is a foodie who prefers more expensive restaurants whereas I tend to frequent less expensive, locally-run establishments that the locals go to (this is why Da Kitchen and Aloha Mixed Plate are 2 of my favorite places on the whole island eating-wise).

This time around, I'm not checking luggage. Going to try the one bag concept that I found at www.onebag.com and www.1bag1world.com. Plan on also doing some shopping to bring home some gifts for hubby and our girls since they won't be seeing their mommy for a few days.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,089 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Headed to Maui on 1/15

Aloha,

Wishing you the best possible visit. Not an easy one, and it's too bad you can't have your husband and kids with you.

May the whales greet you when you say Aloha O'e to your mom.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,057 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Headed to Maui on 1/15

Wishing you all peace as you carry out your mother's wishes. I suspect she knew Maui could help you all heal from your loss.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Headed to Maui on 1/15

I'm so sorry for your loss. My mom died of cancer @ 51. After we knew, I took her to Maui for her last vacation. I was pregnant with my 11 year old and my 15 year old was four.

To this day, our Maui memories are filled with mom. It is a wonderful thing to have her so present when we vaction.

Last night my 15 year old was telling me about his first clear memory was here with Grandma.

I hope that this trip will bring you the comfort of warm memories for many years to come.

Shepherdsville...
Level Contributor
135 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Headed to Maui on 1/15

So sorry to hear about your loss. My dad died of cancer last March, and I too would like to spread his ashes in Maui. Even though I know this will be a difficult trip, think of the good times you had with your mom there, and time will ease your pain.

5. Re: Headed to Maui on 1/15

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2011, 05:18