We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To bring or not to bring infant to maui

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
To bring or not to bring infant to maui

Hi there

So i have a difficult decision to make my husband and I planned a trip to Maui with his father and sister and our son who is 3 to kehei we will be staying in a condo. We now have a 6 month old daughter and cannot decide whether to bring her. On one note we would love to have her and it would be difficult to leave her but on the other hand we will not be able to do as much and may be hard on her as she wont have her routine/schedule and be somewhere unfamiliar. My mom wants to take of her while we are gone. We are going for 10 days so I dont know what will be better for her to come or stay with my mom.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To bring or not to bring infant to maui

Do everyone a favor that's onboard the plane and leave the baby at home. They have no way of knowing how to equalize the pressure from the plane's ascent/descent and wind up screaming for most of the flight.

I realize this sounds blunt, but I've experienced this more times than I want to count.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,540 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To bring or not to bring infant to maui

This is something that really, only you can decide. When I was young with young children, we took them every where we went. Sometimes to my mom's chagrin!! Will it be easy, probably not but plenty of people come to Maui with babies. Do a search in the search bar above. There are lots of threads about traveling to Maui with a baby. Will mom feel left out if you don't leave baby with her? Don't want to upset grandma!!

Arizona
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: To bring or not to bring infant to maui

I think that it really depends on your individual family. For me personally, I would not have been able to enjoy myself being away from my 6 month old for 10 days. However, your mileage may vary (btw, didn't mean any offense to my statement just now...it really truly is a very personal decision).

In 2009, we went to Maui with our then 3.5 yr old and 17 month old. Flew from Arizona. I'll be honest with you...the journey over there was quite difficult because neither of my children slept much on the plane.

However, once we got there, they adapted ok. We learned to just adapt our expectations of what we would/would not be able to do on the trip. We planned on NOT having much of a plan.

If you do decide to bring both of your children with you on the trip, sticking to your child(ren)'s nap schedules can be a life saver for you (will save your sanity, too). My children don't handle things too well when they are really tired (who does?), so making sure that they got plenty of sleep made a much more fun time for all.

Along those lines, there are plenty of things to do with little ones. You just plan on doing certain activities at the time(s) of day when your children tend to be happier and well-rested. for example, we went to the Maui Ocean Center when they opened in the morning and both of our kids had a blast. We stopped by Aloha Mixed Plate on the way back for lunch (we were staying in Kaanapali), and then went back to the condo to put both of them down for a nap. After naptime, we'd often go to the pool or the beach.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To bring or not to bring infant to maui

This is a can of worms on the forum! You will get strong posts in both directions. My answer is - make your own decision. At 6 months the baby will be much easier than a toddler. As a matter of fact, I would take my 6 month old before my 3 year old. However, we travel with our kids mostly. We have precious little down time as a family and we like to spend it together. You are correct, there will be signifigant impact on what you can and can't do with the kids.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To bring or not to bring infant to maui

Hey rexter - do yourself a favor and invest in noise cancelling headphones.

It is tru that take off and decent can be a challenge - but not one sufficient to base decisions on.

My DH flies probably 100x per year - there is just some stuff you have to learn to deal with. The headphones work pretty well.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,939 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To bring or not to bring infant to maui

Also consult your father-in-law and sister-in-law. Be prepared to be "stuck" in the condo, probably with both kids, while DH and his family explore. It's just the way it is. Sorry.

I think that having a mom who want to baby-sit while you travel is a gift from heaven that many, many would envy. If you have complete trust in mom (and that is a different story), go for it.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,283 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: To bring or not to bring infant to maui

My question would be, "Would Grandma take both kids?" LOL I'd leave both home and plan a one-week trip. (I'd also prefer to stay in a separate condo with my DH.)

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,315 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: To bring or not to bring infant to maui

You want to make it a special trip ?

Give your husband the gift of YOUR time while on Maui.

Instead of having to spend a good portion of your energies watching after the infant (and all the attendent gear), invest it in your relationship with your spouse.

I also think Betty Lou is correct to the Nth degree, in that the others in your party should have equal input (as it will materially impact their vacation experience) , there will be many moments of group frustration (or you will be left alone with the baby), and that having a willing, trusted babysitter in Mom is a win-win for everybody (she will remember it forever and will make her relationship with grandaughter that much deeper).

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,237 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To bring or not to bring infant to maui

Kailuamom, noise-canceling headphones do not filter out the high-pitched shrieking of an unhappy infant. Trust me; I have experience with this.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To bring or not to bring infant to maui

Hey all - from a mom who has done this - I don't think you are speaking from experience here..... The 3 year old will be much more frustrating than the baby. At 6 months old, the baby is a piece of cake. I don't think that leaving the 6 month old home will make DH feel any more invested in. The 3 year old when travelling is much much more work. The baby stays where you put it and goes where you bring it. They will typically sleep wherever and their food is portable. This is getting to the end of the easy age - take advantage!

That said - if you bring one or both, you won't likely "do" much. That's why I go Maui, so OK with me. But - if you are planning an activity per day, you should re-think.

We have always brought the kids with us. I did skip the years between 1-3 because it is too much work. We did it once and realized it wasn't fun for me, so I opted to stay home.

Now that the kids are older - I wouldn't hesitate to leave both if I had someone willing to watch them. I didn't feel that way earlier on though.

In addition I am super grateful for all of the wonderful family memories we (me and DH) have. We are becoming increasingly aware that our time with the kids is short - I am savoring this family time.