We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips to prevent sea sickness

Holden, MO
9 posts
Save Topic
Tips to prevent sea sickness

We are planning on Whale watching and bringing a 3yr and 17month old with us. What things can I bring or have them eat or not eat before we go? Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,478 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips to prevent sea sickness

Ginger ale or candied ginger are supposed to help. The crew on the boat can probaly help you out also. I don't think I would drug kids that young and besides, they may not even get sick. Have they been on a boat and gotten sick before?

Holden, MO
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips to prevent sea sickness

No, we are coming from Missouri and haven't really had any experience on boats except for fishing in the pond. I will make sure to stock up on ginger ale and ginger snaps for the long flight as well. I don't know how far out the boats will take us and if we will have rough waters in Feb so I was just trying to get any and all ideas that could help us.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,478 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips to prevent sea sickness

Ah I see. The vast majority of people never get sea sick.

Go with a light breakfast (don't think going on an empty stomach will help, it won't) and go on a morning tour, the ocean gets rougher (typically) as the day goes on.

Have fun!

Edited: 11 January 2011, 16:16
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
123 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips to prevent sea sickness

I agree having Ginger Ale and Ginger Snaps. I get very seasick and don't like taking any type of medication for it, so I usually take Ginger pills; then take along some ginger ale and ginger snaps. Not only does it help, it tastes great also!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
454 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips to prevent sea sickness

I use ginger capsules and find they really help. (In fact, a recent MythBusters episode confirmed them as a non-medicinal remedy.) Not sure how it would taste, but perhaps you could open the capsule and put it in OJ or something for them. Would probably be a more concentrated dose of ginger than the ginger ale.

Good luck!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,030 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips to prevent sea sickness

Be sure the ginger ale has real ginger. Can't think of the name of the one in the "health" food section that really helps...it has more ginger than your soda pop variety.

Troutdale, Oregon
Level Contributor
329 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips to prevent sea sickness

Ginger capsules worked great for me as well. I took two capsules with breakfast, then I took another one four hours later. I did the same when we drove to Hana, but I did combine that with Bonine. I get VERY car sick, and did not want to risk getting sick. We had a wonderful drive without any problems!

I have a feeling your kids will be fine. Enjoy!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips to prevent sea sickness

never mind the kids do you and the hubbie get sick??

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,838 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips to prevent sea sickness

I would not take them.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips to prevent sea sickness

yea im with BL, i wouldnt take them either. too risky for my blood.