We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wet and Wild Maui Jan.12th

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
52,132 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Wet and Wild Maui Jan.12th

Aloha,

Yes, sadly for all out guests---it is a miserable day weather-wise here in Paradise. It's not going to be better before tomorrow, most likely.......and that means all of you who expected sun and fun outdoors are in a bad spot. My sympathies--truly. Since Nick is a very smart dog, he suggested I post some "rainy day" ideas and some cautions as well. He's always right (Rule #1 of being owned by a GSD!), so here goes:

South/Central Maui:

Maui Ocean Center will be crowded but is a good option. Next to it is a small shopping center with a few shops and restaurants in which you could while away some time, watching the waves out in Maalaea Bay.

Bailey House Museum, on the approach to I'ao Valley. Then wander down into Wailuku town, maybe eat at Cafe O Lei next to I'ao Theater, walk the 'main drag' and stop in a couple of the quirky stores there.

Queen Kaahumanu Mall--well, that kind of says it......there is a multi movie complex here, plus shops, food court, and separate restaurants. Give Fernando's or Koho's a try.

Kahului Shopping Center-not much here, but if you're up for it, explore Ah Fook's grocery. Very old and local style grocery store. On the ground level of the Lono Building (at the corner of the intersection) is Bistro Casanova. Very good food and drinks.

Maui Mall: again, the name says it....not very big, but has Whole Foods and some interesting little shops. For pet owners, there's a pet shop here......go in and check out the prices of dog food, you'll feel instant heat from the sticker shock! Dragon Dragon restaurant here is good. Also a multi screen theater here.

There's always Costco, Walmart to check too, for gifts and such.

In Puunene, try the Sugar Museum. Then head on down to Kihei and Wailea. If you don't mind getting wet, scoot over to the boardwalk by the Kealia Pond, see: …wikipedia.org/wiki/Kealia_Pond_National_Wil…

In Kihei, most of the strip malls will require some wet moments.....but there are several and plenty of shops and cafes. Try Coconuts Fish Tacos, or Stella Blues, maybe the newer places like 3's, Pita Paradise, etc.

Wailea-bring lots of $$$ and explore the shops, LOL. Tommy Bahama's here has some okay food and drink. Go explore the hotels-they will be happy to have you wander through the public spaces, shops, and restaurants.

Movie theaters down in Kihei too.

West side: Lahaina town-the smaller museums in town can be a good break. Explore Front Street but you'll get wet, not lots of shelter. Go hang out at one of the restaurants-I'd try Lahaina Pizza Company for wonderful (and dry) views over the channel. Plenty of shopping, plus movies at the Old Lahaina Center and the Wharf.

The Cannery Mall will be dry, and has a number of places. If you aren't stuffed-check out the food court. The new Mexican place is good, and Athens Greek & Ba Le are always good.

Whaler's Village-the Whaling museum and more food! Some fun "drooling" shopping here at places like Martin and MacArthur and Totally Hawaiian Gifts.

I'm not listing more places, mostly because you will all find them........and you may also opt for some card games, a good book, or naps........

Please consider the driving conditions. I separated this by area deliberately. We had a rock slide on the Pali Monday night that closed the road for about 90 minutes; there's a VERY strong probability of more slides. So, if you're in West Maui-stay in West Maui. If you're in South Maui-stay on that side.

People may not be used to driving in wet conditions, may be inattentive, and cranky-a bad mix. Last but not least, rocks and trees fall where and when they fall-the ground is very, very soft, and the winds are from the ""wrong" direction. We often have trees uproot when the combo of rain and south winds hits us.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,919 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wet and Wild Maui Jan.12th

Wow! Lots of wonderful information for all SW! So sorry there is some rain in Paradise...but I'll still take a slice of it.

(It's lovely sunny in H town, but the overnight low was a 25. So see at least you are kinda tropically overcast but warm.)

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,132 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wet and Wild Maui Jan.12th

Aloha,

Thanks, Caddy. At this moment.....it's trying to be sunny. Will it last? Nah, maybe five minutes.........Amberloo's sending the cr** over to us!

The winds are steadily picking up, as forecast. I've had about 3 inches of rain since 5:30 am and I'm not in the wettest area.

Edited: 12 January 2011, 20:20
Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,132 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wet and Wild Maui Jan.12th

Aloha,

This notice will give folks an idea of the size of this storm, just so far:

www.co.maui.hi.us/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=2337 , copied as text below:

Posted on: January 12, 2011

Flood Notification No. 1 - FLASH FLOOD WARNING

The National Weather Service in Honolulu has issued a FLASH FLOOD WARNING for the Island of MAUI, in effect until 11:15 a.m. This Warning may need to be extended beyond 11:15 a.m. if flash flooding persists.

EFFECTS: At 8:19 a.m., radar showed heavy rain along a line extending from 8 miles west of Lahaina to Ulupalakua, or along a line extending from 22 miles west of Kahului to 19 miles south of Kahului, moving northeast at 20 mph. Additional heavy showers extend 30 miles offshore to the southwest.

Other locations in the Warning include but are not limited to Wailea, Maalaea, Kihei, Wailuku, Kahului, Pukalani, Lahaina, Makawao and Paia.

This Flash Flood Warning replaces the Flood Advisory that was in effect for Maui.

PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES: A FLASH FLOOD WARNING MEANS FLASH FLOODING IS IMMINENT OR OCCURRING IN STREAMS, ROADS AND LOW LYING AREAS. MOVE TO HIGHER GROUND NOW, DO NOT CROSS FAST FLOWING OR RISING WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE OR ON FOOT. TURN AROUND DON’T DROWN.

INFORMATION: Maui County Civil Defense will continue to monitor the situation. Please listen to your local radio and TV stations or NOAA Weather Radio for any updates. NOAA Weather Radio broadcasts can be reached by calling 1-866-944-5025. The NOAA Weather internet services can be found at www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl.

Pre-recorded advisories and notifications are available 24-hours a day on the Maui County Automated Information System (AIS) by calling 986-1200. The same information is available on the Maui County website at www.mauicounty.gov.

-End-

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wet and Wild Maui Jan.12th

Thanks for the notice swmarket. I have work colleagues in Maalaea right now. Their second January trip and their second advisory. Yet they still come back all smiles.

Edited: 12 January 2011, 20:45
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,339 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wet and Wild Maui Jan.12th

I just would like to add the Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale Sanctuary in Kihei to the list!! Go into the education center. Probably lots going on. The movie theaters are in Kukui Mall. There are some "budget" stores in the Shops at Wailea. ABC store and Whalers General Store. A few others that are middle of the road type places. Lapperts Ice Cream is where I shop!!

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,132 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wet and Wild Maui Jan.12th

Aloha,

They have extended the flood warning. Right now Central, South Maui are getting it the worst-Upcountry too

There have been some downed trees and also one into some power lines up on the Kula highway as well. I understand power has been mostly or completely restored to the areas (upcountry) affected.

Here is the text of the latest notification:

"Emergency Notifications

Posted on: January 12, 2011

Flood Notification No. 2 - FLASH FLOOD WARNING

The National Weather Service in Honolulu has extended the FLASH FLOOD WARNING for the Island of MAUI, now in effect until 2:15 p.m. This Warning may need to be extended beyond 2:15 p.m. if flash flooding persists.

EFFECTS: At 11:05 a.m., heavy rainfall was occurring over Upcountry and Central Maui. Additional heavy rainfall was expected to move over Maui from the southwest over the next several hours. Flash flooding will occur quickly on the already saturated ground.

Other locations in the Warning include but are not limited to Wailea, Maalaea, Kihei, Wailuku, Kahului, Pukalani, Lahaina, Makawao and Paia.

PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES: A FLASH FLOOD WARNING MEANS FLASH FLOODING IS IMMINENT OR OCCURRING IN STREAMS, ROADS AND LOW LYING AREAS. MOVE TO HIGHER GROUND NOW, DO NOT CROSS FAST FLOWING OR RISING WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE OR ON FOOT. TURN AROUND DON’T DROWN.

INFORMATION: Maui County Civil Defense will continue to monitor the situation. Please listen to your local radio and TV stations or NOAA Weather Radio for any updates. NOAA Weather Radio broadcasts can be reached by calling 1-866-944-5025. The NOAA Weather internet services can be found at www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl.

Pre-recorded advisories and notifications are available 24-hours a day on the Maui County Automated Information System (AIS) by calling 986-1200. The same information is available on the Maui County website at www.mauicounty.gov.

-End-"

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,343 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wet and Wild Maui Jan.12th

My friends report that it is nice and dry in the Maui Brewing Co Tasting room!!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,339 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wet and Wild Maui Jan.12th

Heard on the news that there is only one state in the union which isn't getting snow today. It's not Hawaii!!

Huntington Beach CA
Level Contributor
653 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wet and Wild Maui Jan.12th

When it rains, I go shopping. Maybe see a movie. Some malls have a little farmer's market in them too. : )

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,132 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wet and Wild Maui Jan.12th

Aloha,

Well, Mamma.........I don't dare leave due to the flood potential at my place, or I'd be down at the MBC restaurant! I've cleared my drains 3 times today-and that's after doing the yard yesterday and raking up leaves etc to try and get ahead of the game. The darn winds are bringing so much crud down and sometimes the rain's just too heavy for the drains anyway. I have some nice ponds on my property.............this keeps up there'll be fish in them soon!

Napili is having some bad flooding--I'm sure Lahaina has too, but I've heard mostly about Napili and the lower road on the West side.

A friend wrote that the Pali was full of waterfalls.........of course, those have rocks and lots of debris within that water that's coming onto the road. Maalaea, Kihei, Wailea have reportedly had the worst ponding and flooding issues overall, but I know that West Maui has gotten much more today than NWS thinks.

This portion-or storm-is supposed to move out by late tomorrow. Friday and Saturday are supposed to be good, with a huge cold front hitting us on Monday or so.

The current "chapter" is winding up now. There's actually pockets of sky, but the winds are nasty.......swirling and gusting. This sucker will most likely circle around for another hit or two, since it is a pure Kona storm.