We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Opinions on the best area of Maui to stay in.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
308 reviews
Save Topic
Need Opinions on the best area of Maui to stay in.

Having never been to Maui .I would like the advice on what part of the Island is the best to stay in relation to weather,local attractions,shopping,restaurants etc.Thanx in advance for your opinions.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,518 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Opinions on the best area of Maui to stay in.

Weather - south or southwest, probably Wailea, Kihei, Lahaina or Ka'anapali.

Attractions - anyplace. You're going to want to have a car to drive to many things anyway.

Shopping - What kind? Souvenirs anyplace. Upscale anyplace, moreso in Wailea or Ka'anapali.

Restaurants - there are good ones all over. Again, you'll probably want a car to drive around and sample many of them.

Much depends on your budget, if you want the "resort experience" or if you're willing to stay in a regular hotel or rent a condo, and what kind of surroundings you want. Do you want a swimming beach out front? Snorkeling? Fancy swimming pool? Kids/no kids?

Redding, California
Level Contributor
210 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Opinions on the best area of Maui to stay in.

well, kinda need more info on if your a resort person or a condo person, how much do you want to spend a night? There is alot to do on the west side, alot of places to stay, shopping ect....

California
Level Contributor
270 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Opinions on the best area of Maui to stay in.

We usually stay in Kihei. The town is more centeraly located. Just down the road is Makena with great resorts if you are not into the "condo thing". The atmosphere in Kihei is more of a relaxed local feel which is also a plus for us. There is some driving involved anywhere you stay on Maui but like I said we think Kihei is a good central location...

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Opinions on the best area of Maui to stay in.

You will get varied answers on this. I personally like the Kaanapali area. There are nice beaches and it is close to Lahaina for shopping etc. It will really depend on your budget and what you prefer. On Maui no matter where you stay it is beautiful, and you should have a wonderful time.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Opinions on the best area of Maui to stay in.

Thankyou for your responses.We would be looking at a condo,apartment or home to rent.I,m sure their will be different opinions on different areas, that is what I am looking for.For instance on Oahu I love the North Shore,I dont think there is a better place to stay in Oahu.I would say the weather would be main factor as well for Maui.

Thanx again

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,518 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Opinions on the best area of Maui to stay in.

If you like North Shore Oahu I suspect you'd like Kihei. Lots of rental choices, great beaches, and pretty easy access by car to other parts of the island.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Opinions on the best area of Maui to stay in.

Thanx pzp

Out of Wailea,Kihei,Lahaina,or Ka'anapali,where would you stay?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,518 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Opinions on the best area of Maui to stay in.

Personally, I like Wailea (not the big resorts) because it's a little quieter than Kihei. We do usually end up spending some time kicking around Kihei, though, and we always do an afternoon and dinner in Lahaina.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Opinions on the best area of Maui to stay in.

My husband and I have stayed in both Wailea and Kaanapali. We like both areas, but for different reasons. The weather is a bit better in Wailea from December to March (the rainy season). But it doesn't rain that much in Hawaii anyways, unless you're on the rainy side of the island (which both Wailea and Kaanapali are not). We also like the upscale resorts in Wailea. However, we prefer the dining and entertainment in Kaanapali/Lahaina because there's more choice and you don't need to drive, so you can enjoy a few drinks with your meals. You should still rent a car, though, so you can tour the island. Because we like both Wailea and Kaanapali, we usually split our trip between both areas. We're already planning our 4th visit. Can't wait! Have a great trip!