We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking the idyllic Maui

Glasgow, UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking the idyllic Maui

Appreciate some thoughts on this. My other half and I are flying half way around the world to visit Hawaii for the second time later this year.

Like pretty much everyone, we spent much of our time in Waikiki the last time and, having felt like we've done that, we've left ourselves a week to explore one of the other islands.

We spent three days on beautiful Kauai a couple years ago, we figured Maui would be a good bet.

The question is this: given we're still spending a week in Waikiki, where is best on Maui to stay to get a more idyllic experience? I want breathtaking scenery, amazing beaches, fantastic food, charm and character.

I don't want to spend a week in somewhere that's basically a small version of Waikiki. Paia sounds like it fits the bill, but I'm happy to be persuaded otherwise.

Any advice much appreciated. We don't have an enormous budget as it's costing a small fortune to get from the UK in the first place.

Over to you.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking the idyllic Maui

I would think about the Makena Beach Reort. In my opinion, it fits that idyllic perspective. That said it is a short drive to restaurants and shops - but its an easy drive. This is one of my favorite locations and beaches in the state. If I were looking for opposite of Waikiki on Maui - that's what I would pick. (Hana is truly opposite, but too removed for me) Paia is a favorite town of ours, but the beaches anent as great a Makena. There is no snorkeling - too rough.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking the idyllic Maui

I agree with Kailuamom. If you want to stay in a resort, in my opinion, it is the closest thing to seclusion you can find on the west coast...with the best beach AND snorkeling to boot! If, however, you want to save money and stay in a condo, you will have the advantages it offers and simply drive to whatever beach you choose.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,174 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking the idyllic Maui

Go to www.wizardpub.com and take a look at the condos in Napili on the west side. Gorgeous and very laid back. In Paia check out the Inn at Mama's Fishhouse...may be pricey for you but it fits the bill.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,762 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking the idyllic Maui

Aloha,

Check the Paia Inn too, if you decide to stay near Paia.

I agree the Makena Resort would be good--but take a look at the Hotel Wailea as well. Not on the beach but a wonderful property, set away from some of the "hustle and bustle" of Wailea and Kihei.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking the idyllic Maui

If you are coming in the summer months, look at Napili or Kapalua. If before that, south Maui, in Makena would be ideal. You may also want to think about a couple of days in Hana.

Glasgow, UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking the idyllic Maui

Thanks for the suggestions, team - Napili looks like it could be a good bet.

What's the dining scene in Napili like? I know Lahaina isn't that far away, but ideally I'd like a handful of decent places for dinner without having to drive (we'll be doing enough of that during the day, I feel).

Keep the wise words coming!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,927 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking the idyllic Maui

If you want lots of dining options without driving ... the stretch of Ka'anapali south of Black Rock is your best bet, as well as Wailea. Lahaina doesn't have the spacious atmosphere you are looking for.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking the idyllic Maui

In Napili you will be surrounded by some very good restaurants. The Gazebo is there, which many recommend for breakfast. The Sea House is always a good place to go. There's a rib place in the Napili Plaza. Plus there is Merrimans in Kapalua, right next to Napili. Then you have the Plantation House up the road as well as the Honolua General Store. I'm sure there are a few others I haven't mentioned.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,762 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeking the idyllic Maui

Aloha,

In the Napili area, five minute drive or so:

Mama's RIbs and Rotisserie, Napili Market (full grocery store with a big prepared food section too), Sea House, Cafe O Lei Napili, Gazebo.

Ten minutes drive--towards Kapalua-Merriman's, Honolua General Store, Pineapple Grill, Plantation House.

Kahana area (five minutes drive south from Napili)-Maui Brewing Company, China Boat, Roy's, Dollie's, Sands of Kahana.

Honokawai-ten minutes south of Napili-Honokawai Okazuya, Honokawai Fish Market, Pizza Paradiso.

North Kaanapali-a few minutes farther south than Honokawai-Duke's at Honua Kai, Castaway's Cafe at Maui Kaanapali Villas.

Kaanapali-CJ's Deli at the Fairways Shops, and of course all the various places in Whaler's Village-Cane & Taro, Hula Grill, Leilani's are the sit down spots.

Plenty to eat and enjoy!!!

10. Re: Seeking the idyllic Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2012, 05:20