We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Gold Plantation vs. Dole Plantation Oahu

Moorhead, MN
Level Contributor
10 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Maui Gold Plantation vs. Dole Plantation Oahu

Our family is planning a trip to Maui and Oahu in February, and we are trying to decide if we should tour the Maui Gold Plantation on Maui or the Dole Plantation on Oahu.

We will only go to one, so which is better? Maybe neither is worth our time?

Our kids are 8 1/2, 7 1/2, and 5 1/2 . . . . in case that makes any difference :-).

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,041 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Gold Plantation vs. Dole Plantation Oahu

I'm not sure what Maui Gold Plantation tour you are talking about. Do you have a link?

The Dole Plantation is a good tourist trap, but worthy of one visit. The train and maze will keep the kids busy. Dole Whip is yummy!!

Moorhead, MN
Level Contributor
10 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Gold Plantation vs. Dole Plantation Oahu

…about.com/od/…maui_gold_tour_2.htm

It is also referred to the Pinapple Express tour?

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Gold Plantation vs. Dole Plantation Oahu

…about.com/od/…maui_gold_tour_2.htm

It is also referred to the Pinapple Express tour?

This link refers to ML&P which went out of business. I can't tell how old that article is

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Gold Plantation vs. Dole Plantation Oahu

With respect to the Dole Plantation; it is a fine stop if it is on your way somewhere. It is a nice break when driving to or from the North Shore. I would never make a special trip though. It's worthy of about a 15 minute stop. (OK - if you really like pineapple history, maybe 30 minutes.)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,041 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Gold Plantation vs. Dole Plantation Oahu

Yeah, rexster, that is what has me confused. I don't believe they are growing any pineapple in Kapalua any more. They sold that part of the operation and the only commercial planting is taking place in Hailimaile.

Moorhead, MN
Level Contributor
10 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Gold Plantation vs. Dole Plantation Oahu

So, there is no longer a pinapple plantation on Maui?

Here is another link from tripadvisor:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g209273-d1…

The last post there was from Oct. 2010.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,977 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Gold Plantation vs. Dole Plantation Oahu

The Dole plantation is a really fun stop on the way to the North Shore. You're kids will love the train and the maze and, as msfuz says, don't miss the pineapple whip!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,041 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui Gold Plantation vs. Dole Plantation Oahu

We will just have to wait for SW to show up. I'm sure she will have a definitive answer. Sorry I can't give it to you at this time.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui Gold Plantation vs. Dole Plantation Oahu

I thought they were still growing the organic pineapples in Kapalua and the "regular" Maui Golds are grown upcountry. At least, that's what Mr. Pineapple told me, last year, and why would Mr. Pineapple lie? :)

With little kids, the Dole one is probably a better bet. The train and maze will offer some entertainment value and there a HUGE gift shop with DoleWhip pineapple softserve icecream. Plus, it's on your way to or from the north shore, so you can kill an hour or two there and still get in other activities.

Moorhead, MN
Level Contributor
10 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui Gold Plantation vs. Dole Plantation Oahu

Well, if no one can say for sure if there is a pinapple plantation tour on Maui, it must not be a must see :-). We'll probably go with the Dole plantation during our stay on Oahu :-).

Thanks so much for all the input!

If you have any other tips for places to see/things to do with kids on either island, I'm all ears.

Has anyone heard anything about the sugar cane train on Maui?