We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone booked with Westjet???

British Columbia
Level Contributor
387 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone booked with Westjet???

I've booked with Westjet the last 2 years and got some amazing ticket prices...but this year....I haven't seen the deals!!!

Please tell me what you paid so I can see if its worth waiting it out.....UGH....I'm very scared...cause we won't go if the prices don't come down a tad.....Thanks ever so much!!!

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone booked with Westjet???

I feel your pain. A/C hasn't come through this year either. I booked with Alaska because I was tired of waiting for a March fare. Anything reasonable has had terrible connections eg. YYC/DEN/LAX etc.

There was an article in the Calgary paper today about fuel prices and the lack of lower fares. Time to get creative.

Edited: 18 January 2011, 21:26
vancouver island
Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone booked with Westjet???

I am going at the end of April and i am also waiting for a drop in prices with westjet before i book. This time last year i booked when it was $199 from Vancouver. About the best i have seen so far is $209. When are you going??

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone booked with Westjet???

The issue is likely that demand to Hawaii has gone through the roof due to a fairly sudden change in consumer buying patterns.

It doesn't take many people per day in Canada deciding that Mexico is no longer in their comfort zone due to stories of drug violence to change buying habits.

That small sector of the market is now buying up the previously empty last 15-20 seats per flight to Hawaii, thus eliminating the airlines need to sell fares at marginal pricing.

My guess is that the Cdn carriers, and in particular, WestJet, will add a bit more capacity in the winter of 2011 / 2012 which will alleviate the pricing issue. WestJet has wet leased in a B757 to operate Alberta to Hawaii non-stop flights starting in late Feb 2011.

It's simply a case of supply and demand. No one was discounting IPADs when demand was high as there was no need to. YOU might not be willing to pay the prices they are charging, but the planes are flying chock o block full, so others are more than willingly paying the freight at the advertised prices.

Additionally, oil is pushing $100 again, and that represents about 1/3 of their costs. That, alone, pretty much guarantees fares this year will be higher than fares last year.

The US carriers have a much lower tax regeme, both hidden and not, that allows them both a lower cost structure AND the benefit of not having to charge for a myriad of trans border taxes IF passengers drive across the border to catch a flight. If the Cdn Gov't allows this to continue, trans-border leisure flying is only going to get more and more expensive.

For those that think Cdn carriers are ripping consumers off, you are mistaken. Even with the fares charged, Air Canada rarely makes any money flying airplanes in the winter and WestJet at best makes profit margins less than 10%.

Most people I know wouldn't get out of bed in the morning to make 10% pre-tax!

If they are rip off artists, they are the dumbest rip off artists in the world because they make little to no money in doing so.

Edited: 19 January 2011, 00:17
Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone booked with Westjet???

Realitychex, I agree with the Mexico slant. It's obviously no longer as appealing to many Canadians (although it is often replaced by Cuba).

However, the three or four prime A/C flights I have been watching for March are still one third empty in coach. Not only are there no heavily discounted fares, but there are no moderately discounted ones either (eg $800 return from Calgary...I prefer $600). This year the fares seem to be dropping about 4-6 weeks prior to departure (with the connections I have listed above) which makes finding the right condo a huge challenge...never mind a car!

The best fare I saw on A/C for my March trip was...last August!

Rip off never entered my mind. Financial issues with A/C are well documented. WestJet runs a tight ship with reasonable fares most times, but as you said they need more flights.

Edited: 19 January 2011, 01:15
Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone booked with Westjet???

I leave next week but booked my Westjet flights back in August as they had some pretty good prices at that time. Although I don't remember the breakdown of each leg, the flight was about $700 return from Regina. Keep in mind flying out of, and into Regina always adds quite a bit to the price as it's obviously another leg.

Best part though as we actually got the flights we wanted, and are on the early flight out of YVR so we arrive in Honolulu (doing Oahu first) at about 2pm instead of the usual 10 pm. Coming home we are on the red eye out of Kahului at midnight so we have the whole day there which is great, as the wife and I have a hard time letting go of Maui.... LOL.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone booked with Westjet???

Hi

Register with WestJet for their email updates of special promo codes

etc.

I have been flying from Hawaii to Canada with Alaska Air and then the return with WestJet. This way I avoid red-eye flights.

With the US dollar being down I know you will find the Canadian dollar

will go even farther this year. (when you get here)

Canada
Level Contributor
9,450 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone booked with Westjet???

I think Jimgloria hits it on the head with the US/Cdn $$$ evaluation. More Canadians are travelling to Hawaii than ever before ...as their dollar goes further.

Uncoiler, Hope you've got that last night booked through until the next day to fully enjoy that last glorious day on Maui. We always book the extra night so as to relax , shower, dine at our leisure....especially with a late evening flight home(which many seem to be)

Air Canada has had some deals on some dates of late....thing is you have to book 'em when you see them.....or they are gone.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
387 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone booked with Westjet???

Guess what everyone....!!!!!!! I'm sooooo excited!!!! I was always looking at the prices to Maui from Vancouver...but I really want to fly out of PG (600kms away) cause that would save gas, hotel, food, etc...AND so when I typed in PG to Maui....I GOT A FLIGHT FROM THERE FOR $269.00!!!! AND GET THIS..THAT IS THE EXACT PRICE THEY ARE OFFERING TO MAUI FROM VANCOUVER!!!! It is like the flight is free...well, kinda sorta...tee hee. I now have to book from Maui to Vancouver...but somehow I'm not in a rush...hahahh

Anyways...We are on our way in March....Yahoo!!!!!

PS You couldn't catch me in Mexico!!! Ever...seriously...you call that a holiday....too scary for this girl!

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone booked with Westjet???

Congrats Teresakc. That's a great price.

My friend bought a condo in Mexico (Playa Del Carmen) and even though lodging would be free, we haven't been anxious to go down there.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone booked with Westjet???

I am going at the end of April and i am also waiting for a drop in prices with westjet before i book. This time last year i booked when it was $199 from Vancouver. About the best i have seen so far is $209. When are you going?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

girlsfrombc is that a one way ticket or return??

My wife and I are booked in Mid-March from Calgary with Westjet/NAA. we paid $535 each return, all in.

I agree with whats been said previously, I think a lot of people are steering away from Mexico. My wife, for one refuses to go there anymore regardless of price.