We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Weather around Haleakala January 19!!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,665 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Winter Weather around Haleakala January 19!!

Aloha,

I heard rumors that this might be coming, and it is now official:

"Emergency Notifications

Posted on: January 19, 2011

WINTER WEATHER WARNING 01

EVENT: The National Weather Service in Honolulu has issued a WINTER WEATHER WARNING for the SUMMIT and UPPER SLOPES of HALEAKALA in EFFECT UNTIL 6:00 P.M. THIS EVENING.

EFFECTS: A cold low aloft will pass over Maui on Wednesday bringing the threat of wintry weather to elevations above 9000 feet. The primary threat over the upper elevations of Haleakala will be freezing rain and icing which will make travel to the summit of Haleakala very dangerous. This wintry mix of precipitation is expected to

continue through most of the day Wednesday.

PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES: A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF FREEZING RAIN, SLEET, SNOW AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

INFORMATION: Maui County Civil Defense will continue to monitor the situation. Please listen to your local radio and TV stations or NOAA Weather Radio broadcasts for any updates. NOAA Weather broadcasts can be reached by calling 1-866-944-5052. NOAA Weather internet services can be found at www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl.

Pre-recorded advisories and notifications are available 24-hours a day on the Maui County Automated Information System (AIS) by calling 986-1200. The same information is available on the Maui County website at www.mauicounty.gov."

So yes...........there might be snow up on the mountain today. But please be very, very careful if you go up there-because freezing rain, hail, and ice will be more likely.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,665 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Weather around Haleakala January 19!!

And from the NPS a little bit ago:

mauinews.com/page/…545231.html

Snow and slush......but mostly slush and ice.......glad they closed the summit before the accidents started piling up.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,665 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Weather around Haleakala January 19!!

And a couple of good pics here of the snow:

hawaiiweathertoday.com/glenns-daily-weather-…

Currently, West Maui is gorgeous, clear and sunny-but cold......maybe 60 or so!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Weather around Haleakala January 19!!

not what I wanted to hear!

we just had 24" of snow followed up by 6" of snow then its been freezing rain for the last day and a half.

hope it goes away in a few days

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter Weather around Haleakala January 19!!

Thanks for the link SW. I am used to seeing snow on the BI, but it is not as common on Haleakala.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,776 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter Weather around Haleakala January 19!!

That is unusual SW isn't it? I'm staying down at sea level...on the beach slathered with SPF 30 (that's for DrV). :)

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter Weather around Haleakala January 19!!

Get your snowboard out SW !! :-)

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,665 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter Weather around Haleakala January 19!!

Aloha,

Spy, it will prob be gone by this afternoon...maybe tomorrow--don't panic!

Nope, it's not very common here-I think MsFuzz corrected me before about the last snow and said it was 2006 or so......I was thinking of the NY EVE snow in 1999 being the most recent but she corrected it.

Edited: 19 January 2011, 21:30
Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,665 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter Weather around Haleakala January 19!!

Aloha,

Not a chance, VC!!! Though in 1999-2000 ya' should have seen the kids with boogie boards!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter Weather around Haleakala January 19!!

SW: Thanks for posting this. I check Glenn's site every few days, but might not have done it today. Would have hated to miss seeing photos of this rare event.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter Weather around Haleakala January 19!!

Whew...like Glenn's pix! I've been up there when there has been a layer of frost but nothing like this.