We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March or late September???

New York State
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
March or late September???

We have been to Maui three times, both in the spring and the fall. But we just can't decide which would be better, this coming September or next March, staying two weeks. Both have pros and cons so would like to have feedback from others to help us make the choice. We are almost retirement age, active - like to hike and snorkel. Would like to see whales, which would send us there in February or March but want as little rain as possible. Thanks in advance for any opinions!

Socal
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March or late September???

If it was me, I'd go with Sept. March is more the end of the rainy season. In Fall, and the days still bright. Plus the water is summer warm, rather than cooler coming out of the "winter"

Edited: 23 January 2011, 15:40
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,681 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: March or late September???

Sept can be really hot and of course no whales. We go to escape the nasty weather here, it's such a nice respite and of course Sept is one of our prettiest months in these parts. The other part of the equation is that Sept is that much sooner!

New York State
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: March or late September???

Yes, it is that much sooner - I was afraid I was being selfish because I just need a vacation so badly. There are other reasons that makes more sense to me too - one being that upstate New York might be snowed in, even in March and we'd never get out of here. Another being more rain in March, as was said. The only down side I can think of is that the waterfalls wouldn't be as spectacular. But we spent a week on Kauai a couple of years ago and it POURED all week long. And too, it's not as green in the fall - but it's not WHITE! Thanks!

British Columbia
Level Contributor
382 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: March or late September???

Sounds like you might have your mind made up but I thought I would put my 2 cents in...ironically those are the only two months that I've been in Maui. First visit ever, was in September to get Maui'd. It was fantastic...warm air and water... and very little rain.

We went the second time in March last year...it too was fantastic for different reasons....I LOVED the whales, and frankly, it would seem weird to go back without them there!

The two draw backs to March would be the water temp.... I really noticed the difference..and maybe the high surf on ordinarily calm beaches...and apparently the rain...which we where very lucky to have none last March!

Thus we are heading back again this March!!! ( I think I too would take the one coming the soonest... :)

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,149 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: March or late September???

If you go in September be sure to stay somewhere with A/C. I've been to Maui in several different months and my mid-September visit is the one that stands out for heat and humidity. I've had better luck in October.

New York State
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: March or late September???

Thanks for the input - frankly, we haven't decided - and for exactly the differences you mentioned. March = whales and better waterfalls, but high surf and cooler water temps. September = less chance of rain and warmer water but less spectacular waterfalls and of course no whales, and as I remember it wasn't nearly as lush and green in the fall. I am not one bit convinced either way though my husband is leaning toward March. I appreciate folks taking the time to respond and help me make a tough decision!

Joseph, Oregon
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: March or late September???

We recently faced a similar decision.

The clincher for us was realizing it is less difficult to survive re-entry into winter conditions knowing Spring is just a short time away than it is to face an entire looooong winter ahead while in mourning, missing the tropical surroundings.

Even though the wait for the trip is longer....March it is!

(And, I agree with the other poster. It just wouldn't be the same to visit without my whale buddies around.)

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,026 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: March or late September???

Whale watching would be the tie breaker for me. March can't come soon enough.

New York State
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: March or late September???

Ok, thanks everybody for reinforcing what I actually already know. March 2012 it is! Maybe we can go leaf-watching here in the Northeast in September! The frozen pipes we have today make me realize I want to be outta here in the winter! And you're right - it'll be that much closer to being over when we get home!

10. Re: March or late September???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2012, 05:42