We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GW-Hotel Booking Remorse?

Durham, Connecticut
Level Contributor
286 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
GW-Hotel Booking Remorse?

Wow! Grand Wailea really gets the gamut of reviews! We are staying in Kaanapali for 9 days and I have booked our last two nights at the GW with HH points, hoping to enjoy some upscale relaxation before the long journey home. I am beginning to wonder if it is even a good use of the points and staying here free.

We, 6 people ages 19-49, are scheduled to be here the last weekend of June and I really liked the idea of switching it up to check out another area and to get to a couple restaurants in the area.

Thoughts?

Carlsbad, CA
Destination Expert
for Carlsbad
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GW-Hotel Booking Remorse?

Given the ages of your group I would have picked the Four Seasons or Fairmont before the GW. However, you mentioned HH points so I guess the GW is your only option.

I stayed at GW in October 2007 and had a good time; however, we were with our seven-year-old so what we were looking for is different than what you are probably looking for.

In June the GW will be crawling with children - be warned. Also, the GW is not a luxury hotel. There was absolutely nothing memorable about the room (we had an ocean view room on one of the higher floors).

The GW has a great pool area (but the pools aren't heated) and a very nice beach. You are close to Kihei and lots of less expensive dining options. You are also a very short walk from the Four Seasons and some amazing dining options.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,409 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: GW-Hotel Booking Remorse?

You'll love the Grand Wailea....

Don't worry about what all the pretentious snobs will say.

It is definitely "luxury class".

It is still the most expensive hotel ever built in Hawaii. And the builder/developer/owner considered it his best hotel ever; far better than the Four Seasons facility HE DESIGNED AND BUILT next door; which he felt really didn't turn out that well.

The complex is amazing and sure to please. Its siting is superior, the lobby impressive, and while the rooms are not as spacious as the Kea Lani, they are comparable with the Four Seasons, and when built represented an evolution in Hawaii accommodations.

Spokane
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: GW-Hotel Booking Remorse?

Haven't stayed at Grand Wailea but we stay at condo very close and have been in the hotel numerous times. Always looked very nice, on a great beach and has wonderful pools. I wouldn't be concerned about staying there. After reading your comments I looked at reviews for the two facilities that we regularly stay in and they were the same mixed bag from wonderful to those that thought they had been put in purgatory. I think for many people the light bulb has never gone off that often how you view someplace can be largely dependent on how you conduct yourself and interact with others. We have run into many that should be dragging around a large block of cheese to go with their 'whine'. Remember always a poor father with 2 daughters ( 13 & 16?) at Shops at Wailea and the older girl was

throwing an absolute fit outside one of the shops. Mom walked up & asked Dad what was going on? He told his wife the daughter was upset because he hadn't bought her a $2200 outfit that she wanted. Told his wife that he hadn't because he had left his money in the room safe. The wife proceeded to comfort the daughter not to worry she would go in & get the outfit for her. Some people have unrealistic expectations & don't stop to 'smell the roses'. My wife & I were 50 & 55 when we could afford to first go to Maui, have a real hard time with people that don't count their blessings.

Sorry for the preaching, but don't take all reviews too seriously.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GW-Hotel Booking Remorse?

Since you don't say where you are staying in Ka'anapali - it's difficult to contrast the two for you. Lots of the GW posts focus on the fact that it is a kid magnet - and June would be high kid-season. Whether that is a problem for you or not -- that's up to you.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,627 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: GW-Hotel Booking Remorse?

Trying South Maui is a great idea.

So...if you did NOT use your points at the GW, what else would you do with them? (That's how I would look at it.) Would you prefer to keep the points and pay to stay at 4S, Marriott, Fairmont, Makena Beach, Hotel Wailea?

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,052 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GW-Hotel Booking Remorse?

We treated ourselves & family to 1 night (2 rooms) at GW as a getaway from our cheaper condo. Thoroughly enjoyed the pool complex for 2 full days. Our adult children loved the slides and pools as much as our grandchildren. I hung out at the quieter adult pool with occasional visits to the lazy river. A good time was had by all! I also thought the rooms were lovely- spacious with nice decor and good bathrooms.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,877 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: GW-Hotel Booking Remorse?

Wow! Using those HH points and staying at the GW free? Did I read that right free? And the OP is worried? Worried? And you're happy about your "place" in West Maui? :0

Guess I'll just take my flip flops and wander back to my Kihei condo with the geckos hanging on the windows. (I don't believe they charge extra for those but I'll have to check with my condo manager.) :(

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GW-Hotel Booking Remorse?

Feeling remorse? You're kidding right? It will be great user of your points! This is a destination resort. It's very luxurious, the pools are awesome, the pool bar, the dining, the beach in front of the resort are all remarkable. You are one lucky, lucky person! Enjoy it!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GW-Hotel Booking Remorse?

You may be Overwhelmed on how luxurious and elegant the Grand Wailea is!

Re: non heated pools........you will come to appreciate that fact in the summer when its hot and your respite from the heat is to cool down in the pools.

Fact...they may not be heated by an outside electrical or gas fed heater. but they are heated every day by a very common source THE SUN

My pool in south maui temp varies from 74 in winter all the way to about 87 degrees in Summer soley with Solar Heating.

New York
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: GW-Hotel Booking Remorse?

Gotta love those points!

Great choice! Be prepared pool area might be very busy! But if you are the one enjoying the slides, etc..you will LOVE it!