We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tickets on the Rocks?

New York
Level Contributor
175 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tickets on the Rocks?

What's the "catch" with places like Tickets on the Rocks that offer severely discounted prices in return for watching their "commercial" promoting local businesses and hotel? (At least this is how it was described to me). I have my suspicions that there's something I'm not being told.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,182 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tickets on the Rocks?

Never heard of it. Any promotion of this kind does have an ulterior motive. They will try to either sell you time shares are one of a kind software. The discounts aren't all they are cracked up to be. Especially some that offer great discounts for snorkeling tours in the afternoon. Snorkeling on Maui should be done in the morning hours. I wouldn't waste my precious time on Maui with someone trying to sell me something I have no intention of buying just to save a few bucks.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,357 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tickets on the Rocks?

Aloha,

Your suspicions are right on. Stay away from them.

Vancouver
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tickets on the Rocks?

Hi swmarket.

Thanks for warning.

Just curious what is so bad about them anyway?

Thanks.

New York
Level Contributor
175 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tickets on the Rocks?

We ended up not doing it. It just had an air of "too good to be true," basically offering up the Hyatt luau for free.

I too am curious as to why you warn against them.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tickets on the Rocks?

Let me tell you about the time we got suckered into a timeshare pitch, from one of the little tiny storefront places on Front Street in Lahaina. It was our second trip to Maui and we wanted to see and do everything. We got fantastic coupons and deals for activities, all for a presentation where we were to be served "breakfast" and asked to watch a "short video." The entire thing was to be no more than about an hour and a half long.

We arrived on time and "breakfast" was our pick of day-old pastries and coffee. We spent probably half an hour just standing around being chatted up by numerous sales people. Finally we were all herded into a room and watched about a 1/2 hour long commercial that didn't tell you what you were buying, but showed beautiful people having glamorous vacations all over the world. No mention of how much anything cost. Then we all got divided up with our own personal sales representatives. This is when things got dicey. These people have the hard sell down to an art form.

THREE HOURS after we arrived (out of our precious 6 days, when every minute counted), I was in tears and my husband was ready to punch and/or sue somebody.

We were also asked no less than half a dozen times to sign something saying we were REFUSING their current prices, and we still didn't even know what the heck we would have been buying!!!

Yes, we were young and naive and it finally dawned on us that we needed to be just as rude as they were, just to get out of there.

Be very glad you skipped it.

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina Front Street
Lahaina Front Street
4,402 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
New York
Level Contributor
175 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tickets on the Rocks?

Yep, that's exactly how it was billed to us. 90 minutes, breakfast, and a commercial. Ironic you mention being there so long, as I said to my wife, "I'd be willing to do that, but I just don't want end up being stuck there 3 hours later and miserable."

Sounds like we made the right choice, even if we felt we had the time to kill.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,357 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tickets on the Rocks?

Aloha,

Tall described the 'crimeshare' presentation soooo well! It got so bad in the mid 90's that there's an ordinance in Maui prohibiting them from accosting people on the sidewalks, they are required to openly disclose it's a presentation, etc, etc.

You would have resented the loss of a half day, and it can also sour your whole day (if not more). Buy any activities directly from the company, e.g the Hyatt luau from the Hyatt. You may pay a little more but you'll avoid any third party issues and also avoid wasting your precious vacation time.

P.S. Tickets on the Rock is affiliated with Pacific Dreams/Paradise Dreams/whatever name they are using this week........many, many complaints against them for selling useless "travel software".

Edited: 03 February 2011, 18:29
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
New York
Level Contributor
175 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tickets on the Rocks?

Great info revealed here. Hopefully the next person to look these guys up will now find this thread. (Although I suppose they may just go and change their name now).

Modesto, California
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tickets on the Rocks?

I SO wish I would have read your posts BEFORE I encountered the nightmare of Tickets on the Rocks in Maui! They have several locations in little stands or even the main office by the banyon tree. We were severally under quoted and it suckered us in... only to find out after the credit card was swiped that the couple going to this 90 minute presentation had to be 27 or 28 (we were told 2 different ages by 2 different sales reps) my husband and I were only 26! But now we were in a pickle and they had our 600.00 dollars. They ruined 2 days of arguing at the booth (which was closed when we went back for a refund), arguing in the main store and having the manager call me "sweety" and tell me I owed him thanks for giving us such a great deal. the deal ended up being less than 10.00 difference from what the company was going to give it to us for. These people are all about getting you to sign your name and swipe your card. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. they do NOT care that you are on vacation. all they care about is SUCKERING you into going to this presentation. They have a sign that says, "we hate timeshares too" yet they want to send to to some expedia presentation that is the same concept as timeshares. DO NOT INITIAL OR SIGN ANYTING FROM TICKETS ON THE ROCKS! you will NEVER be happy with your trip. Go straight to the company that is providing the activity. spend the extra 10.00 to NOT go through them! sorry to be so blunt... but they wasted 2 hours the first night and half of the next day trying to figure out this mess. and they made me curse on my vacation!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,357 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tickets on the Rocks?

Aloha,

Sorry for your bad experience-but thanks for confirming what I posyed. Hope your next visit to Maui is FAR better!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii