We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - No Time for Extensive Research

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Help - No Time for Extensive Research

I have gotten so much great info in the past from folks on TripAdvisor and hoping you can help again. We heading to Maui in a few days. Staying at the Grand Wailea. This is my first time on Maui. Husband was there years ago. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to do any extensive research and would love your suggestions. We're in our early 50's.

Looking for suggestions for nice restaurants. We know we want to go to Mama's one night. Not concerned about cost..looking for great food.

Also what "things to do" are not to be missed. I'm a bit limited in my mobility (bad knees) so long hikes/walks on steep terrain is going to be out.

Thank you SO much for your suggestions. Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,294 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - No Time for Extensive Research

It's a long flight.Buy a guide book to read on the plane.

Besides any advice you get on here, you will need one for detailed info and maps..

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,346 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - No Time for Extensive Research

Take a look around this web-site. On the left check out the menu and click on Things to do, Travel Guide etc. Also helpful are the Top Questions on the right hand side of the page. Pick a few things that sound interesting and then come back. You might enjoy a ride to the summit of Haleakala. If you want to do another drive and have time, a Hana journey would be fun. You can do some hiking, or not!! Visit different beaches. Visit Lahaina town, go north/west to the blowhole. I'm assuming you are renting a car.

For restaurants, check out Gannon's in Wailea, there are 4 restaurants in the Shops at Wailea. Kihei has tons of restaurants. Buzz's Warf in Maalaea is one of my favorites. Kaanapali also has a ton of great restaurants as does Lahaina.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,493 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - No Time for Extensive Research

Top 4 if going in a few days..

1.snorkel..many choice beaches in Siuth Maui

2.Close by at theGW,,we also catch a Willie K show.

http://www.mulligansontheblue.com/

3.Drive to the end of the road..lava fields next to blue ocean..breath taking.

4.Whale Watch with Blue Water Rafting..out of the Kihei boat ramp.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
9 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - No Time for Extensive Research

Good call going to Mama's Fish House. You must try the lobster-stuffed mahi mahi.

Another great restaurant (if you like sushi) is Kai in the Shops of Wailea. I've been fortunate enough to live in Japan and the sushi at Kai is the best I've had outside of Japan.

Nick's at the Fairmont is wonderful, as are the restaurants at the Four Seasons in Wailea.

A great lunch place is the Hula Grill on Kaanapali.

Enjoy your trip!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,343 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - No Time for Extensive Research

Take the drive Upcountry to the Winery and explore Makawao, Kula and Paia on the drive back...maybe lunch at Hailiimaile General Store.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help - No Time for Extensive Research

You could snorkel every morning and not get sick of it.... as long as the water is pretty calm. Take a snorkel cruise, rent some nice gear or do both. Wailea beach is perfect or as was mentioned before, try a couple of different beaches. Maluaka is one of my favorites. And if you're staying at the Grand Wailea, you need to go down the waterslides a dozen or more times each.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,956 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help - No Time for Extensive Research

In Wailea we love Nick's Fishmarket at the Fairmont, Ferraro & DUO at the Four Seasons for upscale. Joe's Bar & Grill is great. Also Tommy Bahamas at the Shops at Wailea for lunch.

For cheaper, but good fun, Mulligan's on the Blue, Eskimo Candy and Stella Blues.

Kitchener, Ontario...
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help - No Time for Extensive Research

If you care to make the drive to West Maui, Merriman's was awesome. Our best meal on the island.

9. Re: Help - No Time for Extensive Research

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 14:16