We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gocery shopping in maui

Duncan, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
gocery shopping in maui

where's the best place for grocery shopping in maui, walmart/costco or safeway? we're staying one week in kaanapali and one week in kihei. thanks for any suggestions.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gocery shopping in maui

Check the ads for the week your staying, you could actually do it online. I found good deals at walmart Safeway and times never made it to foodland. But you can find deals everywhere you go.

california
Level Contributor
893 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gocery shopping in maui

I only shop where the locals shop..which is Costco. I buy in bulk so that it will last me several trips. Normally stuff like tiolet paper, food and clothes. Kaanapali is the best part of Maui

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,636 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gocery shopping in maui

All of the above. We stop at Costco for paper goods, snacks (the same Costco ones we like at home). water, soda, beer and wine. They also have great poke, lau lau, kalua pig and lomi lomi.

Then we shop at Safeway, Foodland for perishables and the local fish markets like Eskimo Candy and local farmers markets for fresh fruit.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,914 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gocery shopping in maui

I lived on Maui for years. Went into Costco once and decided it wasn't for me. Just too many bulky items for two people!! The K-Mart and Wal-Mart aren't the super stores, but carry some grocery items, and the paper products are fairly cheap there. Mainly I shopped at Safeway.

I don't believe Kaanapali is any better or worse than any other part of Maui. I love it all!!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,627 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: gocery shopping in maui

Not sure I'd shop Costco for two one-week stays. Are you staying in condos in both places? Do you want to try to co-ordinate transferring perishables between a 10 a.m. checkout and a 3 p.m. check-in? (Just 'food' for thought.)

I buy a few things at Costco, but more at Safeway and Foodland. Get a customer card at each before you shop; you will be less astounded at your tab.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gocery shopping in maui

On our last trip to Maui last year, we shopped mainly at Safeway and Foodland (with their cards), and markets. Were quite happy with that. Will do the same when we arrive in two weeks (yeah!). Costco works for some - I like to shop as I need it - do the same at home. Not always the cheapest but it works for me!

Chilliwack, B.C.
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gocery shopping in maui

If you are already set up at FOodland and Safeway you just have to give your phone number and just like magic you lose about 20.00 off your bill. We got a great savings at foodland on their wine, 11.00 a bottle.

Cheers

Marjorie

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,260 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gocery shopping in maui

OK.. our normal routine from the airport to Kaanapali...Costco for great prices on booze, amazing for folks from Wa! Snacks, cheese, steaks, frozen hamburgers and hot-dogs, just pile the frozen/cold stuff together for the trip. Make a quick stop at MauiGrown in Lahaina for coffee...stop at Safeway and or Foodland for condiments, buns etc.

Carlsbad, CA
Destination Expert
for Carlsbad
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gocery shopping in maui

Foodland, and join their rewards club.

Colorado
Level Contributor
185 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: gocery shopping in maui

I have a Safeway card...but not familiar with Foodland. Can you sign-up online, or do you have to do it at the store?