We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Issues with Island Air?

Burlington, VT
Level Contributor
903 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Any Issues with Island Air?

We need to go from Maui to Kauai in May. Island Air has direct flights and they are actually cheaper then Hawaiian which makes you connect in HNL. Any reason not to use Island Air?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Issues with Island Air?

I used Island Air to fly from Maui to Kauai this past summer. We booked a 6:30am flight and unfortunately our bags didn't make the flight and made it to Kauai 2.5 hours later. Sounds like this is typical, but it was something we hadn't planned for and despite waiting 2.5 hours for our bags - they would not refund out baggage fees.

Just something to keep in mind.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Issues with Island Air?

We have flown Island Air about 9 times (they are essentially the only way we can get to Lana`i.) In regards to reliabilty and losing bags, we have never had a problem.

But you have to be aware of a few things. It is a small prop plane with about 36 seats. They do not allow carry-on baggage that weighs more than 16 pounds. So most of the rolling bags that would fit in the overhead bin on a jet would have to be checked. The first bag is $10, but a second is $35.

Also, bad weather will affect these small planes much more than the jets. These planes are not able to fly over a storm, so the short flight could get pretty bumpy. It however is a nice smooth flight if winds are light and the weather is nice.

With their flights to Lana`i there is not a control tower at this small airport, so they have to do visual landings. So low clouds and rain can result in the plane not being able to land. I do not know for sure, but I would assume that would not be a problem from Maui to Kaua`i. And weather in May is more consistantly sunny than in the winter when we go to Hawai`i.

Edited: 12 February 2011, 17:08
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,013 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Issues with Island Air?

We've flown IA countless times from HNL to West Maui and have never had a problem. They've frequently put us on earlier flights if they have room. But it is a further hike out from the main terminal to the commuter terminal, past the interisland terminal at HNL. We really prefer arriving at the West Maui airport rather than OGG.I've never flown them to Kauai.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,287 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Issues with Island Air?

We ran into some problems with their schedule changes. We booked early, just as we booked our flights from Chicago to Honolulu early. Island Air has few flights, compared to Hawaiian, and of course fewer seats on their flights.

Their changes had us leaving much later than we wanted on our hop from HNL to OGG. That was annoying. Worse was their last minute change for our flight back to HNL to catch our flight home. They cancelled the early afternoon flight we'd booked and substituted a flight that left OGG at dawn, stopped on Molokai, and put us at HNL half a day before our flight home. Our only option was to pay for a ticket change and go a day early, meaning we had an overnight in Honolulu -- more expense and hassle.

When they last-minute decided to take my small carry-on to stow in the baggage compartment, my laptop garnered some big dents. I was also uneasy because my meds were in that bag. Had someone told me in advance of boarding that my carry-on was too large, I would have removed those items.

Their off-shore phone reservationists were unfriendly and had poor English skills. No 'aloha' there!

Edited: 12 February 2011, 18:34
New York
Level Contributor
174 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Issues with Island Air?

Flew Island Air LIH-OGG a few weeks ago. On time. No issues.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,540 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Issues with Island Air?

Sounds like, at best, they are inconsistent!!

Burlington, VT
Level Contributor
903 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Issues with Island Air?

Thanks for all the input. We went ahead and booked with Island and will hope for the best. Couldn't resist almost half the price and shorter route. And frankly i guess there are no guarantees with Hawaiian eithe. We had to wait for our luggage once with them.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
47,027 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Issues with Island Air?

Aloha,

I fly Island Air pretty often, and have rarely had any trouble. In past years, they had issues (like Sue mentioned) but I think those have been long worked out.......or maybe I'm just lucky since I fly them every few months and except for things beyond their control I haven't had any trouble.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Issues with Island Air?

During one spring break, my daughter and roommates, traveled to Pahoa(ish) on the BI to spend at one of the girls' parents home. My daughter left her purse (cell, credit card, cash) on the plane (Island Air).

VERY LONG story, but after many phone calls later, the manager on duty at Island Air / Hilo drove 30+/- miles and personally delivered the pursue to my daughter.

Island Air ROCKS!

We've since flown inter-island on Island Air and had great experiences.

Edited: 14 February 2011, 02:29
SASKATOON
Level Contributor
103 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any Issues with Island Air?

We had booked through Island Air last Feb to fly Maui to Kauai - when we got to the airport we were told they no longer flew on Wed's ( the day we were flying) and we told to go to the Hawaiian Airlines counter to see if they could put us on a flight. Luckily we were put on an HW flight ( albeit a few hours later) and were told we were lucky to get that as the flight was almost full so some IA passengers would maybe be out of luck. On the way back to Maui a few days later the airport was closed due to a tsunami warning, when it did re-open we went to the airport 4hrs prior to our flight and they had no idea when we'd get out. We checked in and waited for further information but there was no rep from IA on the secured side of the airport and when we'd call the 1-800 for customer service we were given no answer as to when we'd get out. For the last 2hrs we waited the 1-800 was closed so we could access no information - our flight arrived finally 5hrs late. I was not impressed with the airline and wrote a complaint letter about the canceled flight - because we had not been notified of it prior to arriving at the airport - and we received no response.