We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oceanview at Honua Kai?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Oceanview at Honua Kai?

We are booked at the Honua Kai for the end of May through the resort. It's a decent deal with the free night. We are in a 2 BR Resort View. The view is not the only consideration but the only concern we have is that we don't want to face the construction to the south. Is there a view, partial or ocean, that we could book to guarantee that we don't get this view? We don't need to know the specific room. I know we could go the VRBO route but we wanted to stay with the resort, it just seems easier. We have done private rentals in other places with good success. Plus, Costco has a good deal including the car rental.

Has anyone had any luck calling the resort and requesting a specific room? And could we still call if we booked through a wholesaler like Costco. We wouldn't mind the cost to upgrade if we could stay with the resort and be guaranteed not to get that section.

Thanks,

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
284 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oceanview at Honua Kai?

We did a vrbo unit, so we knew exactly what our view consisted of prior to arrival.

I *think* all the full ocean view rooms are at the "bottom" of the U-shape of each building. So you wouldn't be looking at or towards the construction. That's where we were and I don't see how the majority of the rooms on the legs of the U could be considered full ocean view. I believe the units at the ends of the legs are considered oceanfront. They also have additional ammenities such as grills on the lanais.

Also if you are in the Konea building, you won't be looking over the construction site. Only the south side of the Hokulani building faces the construction.

Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oceanview at Honua Kai?

I would much rather overlook the dormant Westin site with a view to the ocean versus an East facing view. Not because you cannot see the ocean (because the mountains are beautiful) but due to the highway noise. I would request an outer perimeter unit as close to the pools as possible.

We had what was considered a resort view and were on the North side of the Hokulani building one back from an ocean front unit on the 3rd floor and it had a very nice view of the ocean from the lanai. The South or North side of the Konea building would be ok as well. Just request to be as close to the pools as possible and as far away from the highway as possible. They should be able to accommodate you as May is a much quieter time, after spring break but before the summer crowds.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oceanview at Honua Kai?

Thanks. I'm guessing that you booked the Resort View though the onsight management at the resort. Did you make the request before you got there or did you wait until you arrived. May I ask which room you were in? It is the end of May but our stay starts Memorial Day weekend so I didn't know if we would have different choices when we arrived.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oceanview at Honua Kai?

Thanks. My first thought was to just request a certain building or maybe just an inner courtyard room in either building but I don't think that is guaranteed. I have read a couple of posts here of people reserving a specific room when going through the resort but these were older posts. Maybe they allowed this when they first opened. Maybe I'll give them a call and find out.

Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oceanview at Honua Kai?

We were in unit 348 in the Hokulani building. At the time the Honua Kai had a great interactive floor plan on their website however that aspect of the website is no longer active so I only have the PDF file of the building layout. If you want to PM me I can send it to you along with some photos that show the view from that unit.

Laguna Niguel, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oceanview at Honua Kai?

I own a 3 bedroom oceanfront unit at Honua Kai and have rented my unit through the Honua Kai rental program (Intrawest) as well as currently through an outside condo rental company (Kaanapali Beach rentals) . If you book through the Honua Kai site you can only request a view, not any specific part of the resort. If you book a resort/island view you are going to be looking at either the street/parking lot, the empty dirt lot where Wetin has abandoned it's construction (the lanais are also VERY dusty from this on this side) or the green belt between the 2 buildings. If you request a partial ocean view you will usually be in the Westin dirt lot side or between the 2 buldings. If you request an ocean view through the Honua Kai site your ocean view for a 1 or 2 bedroom will usually be only from the lanai as most of these units face the courtyard. I would recommend going through an outside company as you can specifically pick the unit you want, usually get a lower price but the property will be professionally managed for you.

Edited: 22 February 2011, 17:36
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oceanview at Honua Kai?

They may have changed how they book rooms but for me I was offered specific units through Intrawest at certain price points that were available during our stay and settled on unit 348 and then negotiated a little on the price in order to meet my budget.

Since this was our first stay at this property I wanted to make sure should there be any issues the on site management company would be able to take care of them on the spot. Our interaction with all the staff was great and we meet some really nice hard working employees that made our vacation even more enjoyable.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Oceanview at Honua Kai?

Thanks bellabell, this is what I read before. Even if this is not there official policy, a phone call might be enough to negotiate a specific room. This issue I'm having now is that the Costco deal is the best that I could find, including VRBO and other property mgmt companies, when you factor in the rental car since they are basically giving the car for free. But, if I go with a wholesaler, I believe I will loose the ability to negotiate location.

The deals on private units will probably get better closer to the date but I don't know what the availability will be.

SpringTX
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oceanview at Honua Kai?

bellabell, we are considering renting #348 and would like to ask you a few questions before going forward. Would you be so kind to respond by email?

SpringTX
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oceanview at Honua Kai?

Hi bellabell:

We are considering renting unit #348 but would like to ask a few questions before booking since the owner doesn't have any reviews posted on VRBO. Would you be so kind to answer since your post indicates you stayed in this unit?

The one and only picture he has posted from the lanai looks like the view may be somewhat obstructed by palm trees?

We have never been to this complex before so would like to know in your opinion how the view would compare to the same location except on the 6th floor #648 -it's $75 more per night. Of course, I would like to book #348 since it is lower priced and has a beter cancelation policy.