We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Maui until Room at hotel is available at 4pm

NSW
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Topic
What to do in Maui until Room at hotel is available at 4pm

We arrive in Maui at the Kahului Airport at 8.30am, we have a hire car booked, we cannot get into our Hotel - The Whaler until 4pm that afternoon and don't want to waste a day not knowing what to do. Can anyone suggest where to go and what to see for the day. Day 2 we have a Kayak / Snorkel tour booked early morning 7.30am and then the next morning we are going to Haleakala to see the sunrise and then we head back to Honolulu late on day 3, so we really need to be organised when we arrive at the airport to get the most out of the day. Thanks any suggestions would be so so welcome.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Maui until Room at hotel is available at 4pm

Take you and family to the Whaler and have them store your luggage. You dont want it in the rental car all day ( up's risk of theft)

Give them, (the whaler) your phone number or get theirs and have them call you when the room is ready (or you call them)

Then you can get some goodies sundrys for the room

Then explore the West Side hang out on a beach go ziplining go to maui ocean center iao valley... Lunch whatever you choose

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Maui until Room at hotel is available at 4pm

Aloha Sharkies!

SouthMauiGuy said pretty much what I was going to. Virtually all hotels/resorts will store your luggage until your room is ready, and with condos, they will even refrigerate your cold stuff! With what sounds like a VERY busy couple of days in Maui, I suggest you grab a nice meal on Kaanapali beach where you can sit, relax and take in the breathtaking views, Then ask your front desk where you might be able to change into your swimsuits (proabably would be best to take your suits out of your luggage before you check the luggage), and go find a lounge chair around the pool or beach. Relaaaaaaax for a while, and just bask in being on Maui!!! It's the best way to enjoy Maui!!

Cindy

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,360 posts
522 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Maui until Room at hotel is available at 4pm

i say, go buy a cheap cooler, buy some food, and tour the north part of the island. it is hard , not to get into your place, but sometimes that is what happens. remember, you are in hawaii, and enjoy.

NSW
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Maui until Room at hotel is available at 4pm

Thanks for the messages, we will only have hand luggage with us, as leaving the bulk of our things in our Hotel in Waikiki0 as the room is still booked there, we just didnt want to seem to waste a day of sightseeing and looking around, seeing we only have the 2 nights, 3 full days there, i thought there may have been places that were worth seeing and driving to, as we will be relaxing alot on in waikiku for 2 weeks.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,893 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Maui until Room at hotel is available at 4pm

Depending on your family's interests, a stop at the Aquarium in Ma'alea harbor might be worth the time. It's on your way to West Maui. Even with just hand luggage, dropping your things off at the Whaler is still a good idea. Once you've checked in with the front desk and given them your phone contact info, you could wander over to Whalers Village and have an early lunch at the Hula Grill. Then consider exploring Lahaina (a 5 minute drive away), or maybey head north up past Kapalua along the north coast and hike down to the Nakalele Blowhole. Or perhaps stop at Kapalua Bay and walk along the Kapalua Coastal Hiking Trail.

http://www.kapalua.com/index.php/hiking

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,974 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Maui until Room at hotel is available at 4pm

You aren't giving yourself much time to relax or enjoy Maui. Just a thought.

I guess it depends on the purpose of the trip. I go to Hawaii to do as little as possible. I read, eat, drink, swim, surf if there are waves, drink and eat.

So I'd drop my bags at the hotel and go the beach and somewhere in there eat and drink.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Maui until Room at hotel is available at 4pm

Leave what luggage you have with the Whaler, change into swim wear, go down to beach (don't forget sunscreen) stay there till almost done, then go to Hula Grill's Barefoot Bar and get some libations going, have some appetizers (crab won tons) and drink till the room is ready

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in Maui until Room at hotel is available at 4pm

Get in your car and enjoy the island. Am sure you have things you want to see, go for it. Get rid of your things and go for it as everybody is telling you. Good luck and have fun. Hubie

Ontario
Level Contributor
413 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in Maui until Room at hotel is available at 4pm

Since you seem to want to explore, why not take the road to Hana for the day? Stop for breakfast in Paia then go on your way.

You can drive all the way to Hana if you like or turn around at any time if you've had enough. Go at least at far as the town of Keanae (down the hill from the main road). There are beautiful ocean views of crashing waves there and a little banana bread stand (which may or may not be open). This is a good place to turn around to go back if you've had enough (it's about half way to Hana). If you want to go on, another nice place to stop is to see the black sand beach at Waianapanapa State Park. At this point you are almost at Hana. You can continue on if you like but don't expect much out of Hana. You can stop there if you want drinks and snacks but otherwise it is simply home to a small number of locals (no real tourism to be found) and not a scenic town. You can go further still if you want to go to Oheo Gulch (Seven Sacred Pools). There is a visitors bureau there and you will have to pay to see the pools (I believe, though, that this is linked to Haleakala so I think you can use the same ticket when you go to the summit). It is debatable whether it is worth visiting. I have seen the pools over run by torrents of brown water when it has been raining a lot. I would say go if you want but don't consider this the aim of the trip.

However far you decide to go on the road to Hana, really the only way to get back is to turn around and take the same road back. On your way back stop for lunch or supper at Mama's Fish House. It is a little expensive but they have really the loveliest view - it's exactly like the view you would picture having on a tropical island (but rarely actually do). If you do go to Mama's make sure you do go when it is light so you can see the view (the food is good but not good enough to justify the price) As is typical, lunch is cheaper than dinner.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,281 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do in Maui until Room at hotel is available at 4pm

Aloha,

Sorry......taking the RTH with luggage in one's car is a very bad idea. Just head to the Whaler and leave your bags with the desk, head out and enjoy some lunch and the beach.