We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone tanning before you come??

British Columbia
Level Contributor
387 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone tanning before you come??

I remember being able to spot someone who just arrived to the islands by the their white glow glinting off their bodies...and you had to chuckle...

Dispite the warnings...I decided to tan again this time...anyone else...Oh, and I also had snow this morning so...no chance of getting color from the sun here.!!!...UGH!!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone tanning before you come??

We will be there in 34 days and I had it on my calendar to start tanning now because I am so fair skinned. I read a lot of posts here about it and decided to go with the spray tan and lots of sunscreen while in Maui. I am concerned about the damage the tanning does to my skin. Went to a spray tan place last weekend to try it and I liked it, so it is plan B for me!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone tanning before you come??

I always tan prior to arriving somewhere where the sun is much stronger. I just recently got back from Hawaii and I tanned for 3 or 4 weeks before and not only did I have the pasty white skin, I was able to handle the sun much better. My first trip I ever took to Hawaii, I didn't do quite as well as I burned quite bad one day. I didn't let it ruin my trip, but it taught me a lesson.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone tanning before you come??

I agree with Mary.

Just to give you the medical perspective on getting a “base tan”. This is not a good idea. The darkest tan provides only a maximum SPF of 4, not nearly enough to protect you from getting sunburn from time on the beach without additional sunscreen. We in the medical community call sun tan booths “skin cancer booths”. They produce mostly UVA light, which is the deeper penetrating of the UV light and the one that causes the sun damaged skin (skin cancer and wrinkles). Mother Nature put UVB light in the sun, which are the burning rays, to tell us get out of the sun.

If you want to show up in Hawai`i not looking like you live in the Cold White North, get a spray on tan, which is safe and look very nice.

Then when you are on the beach put on a sunscreen of at least 30 SPF to allow gentle tanning and provides you with proper safety. And a sunburn not only is dangerous, but also is painful and doesn’t look good.

Orange, CA
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone tanning before you come??

I use a self-tanner before I go. Convenient, inexpensive and safe. You just have to be careful to apply it evenly or you'll be splotchy. I like Clinique's self tanner.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone tanning before you come??

I would much prefer to see a white glow than a lobster red one - spray or out of a bottle/tube if you don't want to blind anyone. My vanity hit me hard after a trip when I did nothing prior - there I was in shorts and with a good layer of titanium oxide and zinc oxide on my skin I looked like a pile of mashed potatoes - now I at least dull it down. When applying self tanner I also wear gloves to avoid weird looking palms.

Can you get Maui Babe in BC? It's a great tan extender - not self tanner - I use it after the self tanner, like a lotion (smells like coffee and coconut) If you can't get it in BC then grab a bottle when you get on island - but I will warn you that it does stain light color clothing if not rinsed off - what it does for your skin is beautiful, a little goes a long way on me and it provides a deeper richer appearance. It is not a tanner and it is not a sunscreen, though I do believe they make one.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,415 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone tanning before you come??

Mrs longoboard does the spray tan, works pretty good.

Fargo, North Dakota
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone tanning before you come??

when my family vacationed in Maui last April, I and my oldest daughter went to the tanning booth several times prior to our vacation. Once we got to the ocean, we liberally applied suncreen every few hours each day. My two other daughters did not tan before our trip (too young) and had the same sunscreen applied when every one else did. Needless to say, me and my oldest daughter did not burn and maintained, if not enhanced, the tan we came to Maui with. My younger daughters fried like lobsters within 5 hours and spent at least one day completely miserable, despite putting on sunscreen the same as me and my oldest. I do recommend tanning before going to Hawaii. We are returning to Maui next month and we all have tanning sessions planned before we go.

Chandler, AZ
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone tanning before you come??

Mr Fondue and I will definitely be logging some hours by the pool before we get on the plane next month.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone tanning before you come??

Are you kidding with all this radiation fallout why would I bother tanning in San Diego...I'm going to be a bronze stallion after my trip.

All kidding aside no I don't plan on tanning...I stay fairly dark throughout the year.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone tanning before you come??

Les....I see you can order Maui Babe online.....

They have several products, which one? After looking at it I assume the "Maui Browning Lotion" ???

There are several sites selling it, just did a Google search.