We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going to maui and looks like it might rain

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
239 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
going to maui and looks like it might rain

We will be in Lahaina and it looks like there is a chance for rain. Should we worry about that? Can you still do road to hana in the rain? Also want to go up to crater to see sunrise. Should we go if it is raining?

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,182 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: going to maui and looks like it might rain

Rain happens, it's a tropical island after all!!! Don't worry, check out this web-site for the best up to date forecast in the islands.

www.mauiweathertoday.com

During this time of year most of the winter storms are over and we are starting to get brisk trade winds. With trade winds, you get trade showers. Usually short in duration and more of a mist than anything. Maui has a lot of different micro climates and chances are it's raining somewhere on the island.

The road to Hana will take you through a rain forest so you will get some rain. If you hear about a big storm coming, don't go. If it's just typical Maui weather then indeed travel to Hana. Same goes as far as your trip to Haleakala.

Edited: 18 March 2011, 23:05
Mentioned in this post
Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
239 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: going to maui and looks like it might rain

I am very excited and nervous about this upcoming trip. We are going to Oahu for 3 nights, and Maui for 4 nights. Have lots of things planned. Want to do sunrise at the crater.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: going to maui and looks like it might rain

I rarely ever worry about rain, but then I do live in Vancouver, BC. It rains during the winter months and I don't have to shovel it!

I always pack an umbrella- in fact the umbrella now "lives" in my suitcase permanently. Funny thing is that since I did that, I've not needed that lovely umbrella once while on vacation.

Think positive!

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: going to maui and looks like it might rain

If it does rain - it's warm rain. If it rains, get wet - unless it's thunder and lightning of course.

No rain - no rainbows.

Joseph, Oregon
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: going to maui and looks like it might rain

I always giggle to myself when I see a poster worrying about rain in the tropics. If rain will "ruin" things for you, perhaps the desert South is more what you're after. : )

My parents love Hawaii, but definitely want to be able to sit on their lanai and be covered in bright sun every minute of every day or they complain about the weather and seem to think the day is "ruined." Ugh.

Some of my favorite memories of special times in Hawaii happened specifically because of being caught in the warm, gentle, quickly passing tropical showers.

One time we even became drenched through to the skin by a total deluge with high winds blowing the rain sideways. We giggled like little kids as our clothing and hair became plastered to us and just kept enjoying our walk and the Farmer's Market.

By the time we returned "home" we were completely dry. And the accompanying rainbows and resulting droplets of rain on the foliage and flowers are magical : )

The chance that rain will be anything to worry about really depends on your perspective and ability to be flexible in your planning. Of course, there is always a chance for a huge, long-lasting storm hovering over the islands which could cause flooding or other inconveniences, but 80 and raining beats below zero with ice and snow in my book any day!

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: going to maui and looks like it might rain

I would not do either trip on a rainy day. Passing showers are one thing, but there are days of steady rain and cloud cover. This has been a rainy year so far. We had 3 days of heavy rain on our trip earlier this month. The good news was how lush and green the island looked, compared to recent years.

Much of the magic of the Haleakala drive is coming down and seeing the island and ocean spread out below. Sometimes you can even see Big Island. As for sunrise, if the clouds are heavy the sun may not poke out above them for that glorious show like you see in photos. On the Hana drive there is danger of flash floods that would limit your explorations. Have a short list of museums that you might enjoy on rainy days. Another activity to consider is resort-hopping, checking out the fabulous artwork and lobbies of some of the luxury hotels...unless, of course, you are already staying in such a place. Be flexible. Haleakala and Hana will still be there when the sun comes out.

Mentioned in this post
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: going to maui and looks like it might rain

The weather reports can not be accurate.

Hana is on the rainy side of the island. So you will see more waterfalls

if it is raining.

Our weather patterns change every couple of miles and the weather people

could never give a report for every microclimate.

Don't worry about the weather. It will be what it will be.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: going to maui and looks like it might rain

I would be surprised if it didn't rain during your stay. The typical tropical showers will have no impact on your visit - do whatever you had planned.

If a storm is passing through, I would not do either the RTH or Haleakala. If in doubt, do afternoon and sunset at Haleakala. You will be batter able to see the weather.

Mentioned in this post
California
Level Contributor
7,089 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: going to maui and looks like it might rain

I laugh everytime I see these "will it rain" posts! You automatically know it's a first time visitor. I think the weather forcasts show rain for Maui 364 days out of the year, luckily it's usually not a problem.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
10. Re: going to maui and looks like it might rain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 22:17