We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton v. The Hyatt

Laramie, Wyoming
12 posts
Save Topic
Sheraton v. The Hyatt

I saw really bad reviews on the Sheraton on cheap tickets...just really wish I could decide

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
587 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton v. The Hyatt

I have stayed at neither but from what people have told me they loved both. I think it's going to be a hard choice. If it was me I would choose the Hyatt because it seems like a more well-rounded choice when you compare it to the Sheraton. People love the Sheraton too though. I am sure you guys will have an awesome vacation no matter which one you choose. Good luck and have a great trip!

Edited: 26 March 2011, 16:56
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,083 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton v. The Hyatt

I have stayed at both - and we far preferred the Sheraton. But you would be happy at either.

The Hyatt's beach is not as nice - but all that means is that you'll walk down the path a couple more minutes. The Hyatt caters more to families (great kiddie pool) and conferences. Pool is beautiful. Densely landscaped, international decor. More retail than the Sheraton (but both are close to Whaler's Village). Both have large rooms - nice.

Sheraton has better beach and snorkeling on property. Some of the rooms are ON Black Rock. Amazing views from all over the property. Hawaiian decor. Open design, spacious. Wonderful breakfast buffet! Quiet beach at night.

You will find bad reviews about any hotel. The Sheraton is very popular here on TA -- and the Hyatt has its fans too! You have taken the Westin off your list ... and I think that is a good thing.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,434 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton v. The Hyatt

Lisa, this really is flip-a-coin time! They are both lovely resorts. When reading reviews keep in mind that some folks can never, ever be pleased and everyone can have an off day. 90 percent of your enjoyment of your stay will come from YOUR attitude and reactions. You will be happy at either one!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,495 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton v. The Hyatt

I have stayed at both and both are great. I like the Hyatt better in general, but if we can get up on Black Rock I really like the Sheraton. As a hotel property, I think the Hyatt is better run and I like their layout better.

But you can not go wrong at either place.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton v. The Hyatt

I have stayed at the Hyatt-last year, it is a fine hotel-downside is, not much of a beach, I have been to the Sheratopn, fine hotel as well, nice beach, blck rock-will be happy at either.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
240 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton v. The Hyatt

We stayed at the Sheraton, but visited the Hyatt for the luau. I can say I would not stay at the Hyatt based on our visit, only because of the pool area.

If you are going to be at the beach the whole time, then this may not worry you but the pool area is fairly small compared to the Sheraton and it was PACKED. I mean every chair touching each other, and a person occupying every singly lounger. I couldn't believe how much different the ambiance was from the Sheraton to the Hyatt. Sheraton's pool is winding, quiet and there are many nooks for people to set up in. It was quiet, spread out, and very lush.

That being said, the rooms at the Hyatt do look nice, and the luau was very good (food and performance both) so I guess decide what is more important. For us, we were so glad we picked the Sheraton over the Hyatt.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton v. The Hyatt

Perhaps a bit of an oversimplification - but if you plan to spend your time on the beach, then the Sheraton is the better choice. Much nicer beach there. If you are into the pool scene, then the Hyatt might be preferred.

Personally, if don't get people who go to Maui and spend their entire vacation sitting by a pool. But hey - that's just me :-)

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheraton v. The Hyatt

The Sheraton would be your better choice. We stayed there last year and it was beautiful. The beach is excellent, the pools and grounds are just amazing including the bars by the pool. The sunsets are the best from the Sheraton including watching the divers dive off Black Rock when the sun sets. I walked by the Hyatt and it doesn't compare to the Sheraton at all.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
196 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheraton v. The Hyatt

We went to Maui for our anniversay a few Septembers back and it was between the Hyatt and Sheraton for us as well. We choose the Sheraton for the location, which was the best. I have seen a few bad reviews for the Sheraton from others, but I just have all good things to say about it. The only thing was it was a little walk from the lobby to the elevator and then the elevator to our room and I actually enjoyed that because you were outside and able to take everything in around you. We had an upgrade to a suite, which was lovely. I did write a review, which you can read from my profile. I know you are going to love Maui - it is paradise!

10. Re: Sheraton v. The Hyatt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 20:18