We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Maui - places to run and bike?

Level Contributor
585 posts
Save Topic
First time to Maui - places to run and bike?

Hi everyone,

So I've been lurking in this forum for awhile now, but with my trip to Maui (and Kauai, too) only a month away, I figured it was time for me to emerge from the shadows!

I've been able to glean a lot of great advice from all of you so far, but something I haven't read a lot about are good places to run and ride a bicycle. I will be renting a condo for a week at the Valley Isle in Kahana, and am very interested in going for a run every morning before the weather gets too warm. However, I'm not sure what the terrain is like, if there's a lot of traffic, etc. I'd love any suggestions on good, safe, running routes that I could take directly from my condo, or from a short drive away.

I am also really into bicycling and would love to rent a bicycle as alternative transportation to my rental car while in Kahana. Are there bicycle rental shops nearby and are they reasonable? Is it safe to ride a bicycle on the roads there, or is there a ton of traffic?

I am travelling alone so safety is even more of a concern than usual!

Any tips or advice would be most welcome!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kahana Beach Resort
Kahana Beach Resort
346 Reviews
Maui, HI
Socal
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Maui - places to run and bike?

West Maui Cyclery has all kinds of bikes for rent . Make sure you get a helmet! Also the roads are narrow in spots with no shoulders so be careful.

Finally, lots of folks let their eyes wander off the road to look at the beautiful ocean. That means they aren't looking at you.

westmauicycles.com/Maui-bicycle-rental-shop.…

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Maui - places to run and bike?

Depending on how far you want to run you aren't that far north of the start of the North end of the beachwalk. From Honokawai park its about a quarter mile to the park/beach access off lower Honoapiilani Road where it starts. Then its a little less than 2 miles to black rock/whalers village. There's tons of joggers out between 5 and 7am, not a bike trail however.

If there's any jogging north of you I would love to hear about it.

Edited: 30 March 2011, 19:18
Level Contributor
585 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Maui - places to run and bike?

Thank you both for your replies! I will bookmark that West Maui Cycles site and decide once I get on the island if I rent a bike or not. I really want to, but if I'm surrounded by narrow roads with no shoulders and lots of distracted tourists, then I may chicken out.

The beachwalk sounds like a great run - I normally go 3-5 miles so that sounds perfect.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
4. Re: First time to Maui - places to run and bike?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 16:17