We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mama's For Lunch or Dinner?

Hilton, New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Topic
Mama's For Lunch or Dinner?

So what do you think? Lunch or dinner? Hubby loves fish - I do not - I only eat shrimp but plan on trying a "fish for beginners" while we are in Maui, just not at Mama's. :-)

We have researched the price and have read that some prefer lunch to enjoy the scenery and I would assume price (can't see it in the dark).

We will be celebrating our 32nd anniversary on this trip and will probably go somewhere for a special dinner. Don't know if this will be the place or not (any suggestions would be greatly appreciated).

Bamboo :-) 94 days

Spokane
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mama's For Lunch or Dinner?

We have been to both lunch & dinner. I suggest going for the lunch as then you get the daylight views as a bonus and it seems much more relaxing. Talk to your server on a good 'beginner' fish (love that description). Alot of the fish served in Maui is very mild & I would think would qualify as 'beginner fish'. We had lunch there last Halloween & they had a pumpkin soup with lobster claw meat garnished with heavy cream that was to die for.

We'll be back in 22 days to celebrate our 30th, congrats on your 32nd. Go for lunch, you'll never regret it.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mama's For Lunch or Dinner?

Where are you staying? There are tons of great places in both West and South Maui for a great annivesary dinner.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,416 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mama's For Lunch or Dinner?

Hmmmmm....,

You don't like fish.

But you are planning to go to one of the most expensive fish joints on the planet.

To a seafood afficianado who has the experience to savor Mommas fine menu, it is probably worth it. But for a rookie who can't and approaches with trepidation, it is probably not a good value.

Try some of the milder local fsh (Ono, mahi, opakapaka) at any of a dozen less expensive places. See if you develop the taste for it, and if you do, make the pilgrimage to Mammas later in your visit.

Chances are you'll like fish, and then be more able to enjoy that world-class experience even more.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mama's For Lunch or Dinner?

I would do lunch. Great salads.

Our guest just spent $150 for lunch for himself at mamas. He said he

wasn't even full. That is a bit shocking.

Hilton, New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mama's For Lunch or Dinner?

We are staying at KBH - will be on the island for 10 days - so we will be going to alot of restaurants.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mama's For Lunch or Dinner?

I love Mamas for lunch - it is beautiful, relaxed and sooooo ono!

Calgary
Level Contributor
706 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mama's For Lunch or Dinner?

I vote for lunch. We have been for both and I like to see the view and surrounding at lunch. At dinner you see nothing and it costs more.

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
587 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Mama's For Lunch or Dinner?

Do they have any non-fish entrees?

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mama's For Lunch or Dinner?

If you are going to splurge, Mama's is the place.... great food in a wonderful location.... Enjoy the experience and try not to dwell on the bill!!

The menu includes pork, steak, tofu, salads, prawns & shrimps as well as crab, lobster, clams, oysters and various island fish.

We have gone to Mama's for an early dinner so that we can also enjoy the view and watch the sun set as we finish our meal... it is not as crowded when we arrive in the late afternoon.

North Potomac...
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mama's For Lunch or Dinner?

We went for lunch and it was fantastic. In fact, we were the first ones there so it was totally empty and we got the best table in the place. The view was amazing and it was just so relaxing, and of course the food was incredible and less expensive than dinner. We weren't sure if we were going to go there, but at the last minute we made a reservation and went and are SO glad we did. It's probably one of our favorite dining experiences ever, and the afternoon light and view are some of the reasons why.