We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which of the 3 Maui airports to fly into?

3 posts
Save Topic
which of the 3 Maui airports to fly into?

We will be flying to Maui for an overnight visit from Waikiki. We are trying to make the most of our time. We would like to go to Haleakala Crater and also do the Road to Hana, and see Whaler's resort. Which airport, if there is a choice, should we fly into, and who services them?I noticed there are 3 airports on Maui. Thanks in advance for all your responses.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which of the 3 Maui airports to fly into?

The larger planes all land at Kahului airport which also has plenty of car rental companies very close by. Most travelers use this airport. Travel to the major resort areas is easy.

The airport near Kapalua is served by pacific wings and other commuter type airlines but handles only smaller prop planes.

Hana airport is served by pacific wings mostly originating from Honolulu. If you are

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which of the 3 Maui airports to fly into?

Hello. There are actually only two airports on Maui. The main airport is Kahului, and that is where 99% of all flights go. I would like to offer the advise that if you are only going to be on Maui overnight you will not be able to do all the things you listed. If you choose to go to Hana it alone is a full day trip. It takes about 3 and 1/2 hours to get there(one way) just from the airport. I would advise for a one day stay you drive to Lahaina and Kaanapali. The whalers village in Kaanapali is great. The shopping in Lahaina is also good and it will take a 1/2 day just to go to all the shops. Hope this info is helpful.