We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lanai or Molokini for snorkeling?

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Lanai or Molokini for snorkeling?

I'll be in maui early May and definetly want to do a snorkleing trip! I've searched a bit on the forum and from what i've read so far, Molokini is said to be a bit over rated and crowded....Lanai is great but expensive. Trilogy sounds like its probably the way to go....I guess my question is what could I expect from an Lanai snorkel trip vs Molokini? Staying in Kihei but we have a car and don't mind driving to wherever. thanks in advance!!

Pukalani, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lanai or Molokini for snorkeling?

You will find good snorkling just off many of the beaches in Kihei, Wailea and Makena without the need for a boat trip, but getting out on a boat is also great fun and there still may be a whale or two around. Molokini does get crowded, but is still a fun trip, and it's very close from one of the boats out of the Kihei Boat ramp or the many boats out of Maalaea harbor. Lanai is a longer boat ride (45 min) from Lahaina and can generate more seasickness, but is much less crowded. Trilogy is a good choice. Aloha!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,094 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lanai or Molokini for snorkeling?

Aloha,

Lana'i.......absolutely.

You can also look into Paragon-less fancy than Trilogy but still a great company and trip. Another option would be to do the Ferry and 'rough it", so to speak, on your own. You'd have to pay for the shuttle to other areas but could do the whole day for less that way.

3. Re: Lanai or Molokini for snorkeling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 April 2011, 17:22
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lanai or Molokini for snorkeling?

Lanai!!!

Molokini is too crowded...I have got all sorts of strangers in my snorkeling pictures to prove it!

Lanai is awesome, not crowded, peaceful and better snorkeling. We took the ferry to Lanai last time. Got there in the morning, spent the whole day there, and took the last ferry back. I think it was around $60 round trip.

We are coming to Maui again this summer, and we are planning to do a Lanai snorkeling boat trip this time.

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lanai or Molokini for snorkeling?

Awesome thanks everyone. Not sure if i'm into the super crowded snorkel waters of molokini, Lanai sounds like more of our thing. Gonna check out the company paragon aswell...super excited!

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,670 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lanai or Molokini for snorkeling?

Have been on both and both are great, its a win-win, so go for either. Good luck and have fun. Hubie

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,933 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lanai or Molokini for snorkeling?

I've been on Trilogy and Paragon for sailing to Lanai, both are awesome. The difference in the snorkeling mainly are the crowds at Molokini. The water clarity at Molokini is found nowhere else around Maui or Lanai. Going to Lanai you are bound to see dolphins, Molokini, probably not. The only thing that would make snorkeling worse on Lanai than around Molokini is the surf. The south swells are picking up and may or may not be high on the day you go to Lanai.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lanai or Molokini for snorkeling?

Hey msfuzz, which would you recommend more....Trilogy or Paragon? We have two kids 10 and 7, they both snorkel.

Thanks!

Sultan, Washington
Level Contributor
293 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lanai or Molokini for snorkeling?

After having survived the horde swarming point that is Molokini, I say Lanai. There are many fine beaches to do on your own, many very good as the dog said.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,933 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lanai or Molokini for snorkeling?

HappyTraveler, It's really a toss up but seeing that you have kids I would lean towards Trilogy. No one does it better with kids than them!!