We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best souvenirs to bring home for friends and family?

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
215 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Best souvenirs to bring home for friends and family?

I was wondering what all your ideas would be to bring some smaller type gifts for friends and family back home? Would love to bring some things that they can't get here in Canada, but I don't want to break the bank. Maybe anywhere between $5-$20?

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best souvenirs to bring home for friends and family?

I might suggest things like key chains, nifty little sharks tooth necklaces for the young ones, and anything that fits in the palm of your hand. Lots of shops with racks of items like this. That is, unless you want to duplicate our story from our first trip of carrying two cases of pineapples through three airports (overnight) with a 5 and 7 year old.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best souvenirs to bring home for friends and family?

For real cheap gifts, we always bring back lots of island themed pens, pencils, post-it notes, etc. Yes, they're all made in China, but it's the thought that counts.

Next step up is bags of Mauna Loa Coconut Milk Chocolate covered mac nuts. Everyone I've ever given those to has become a friend for life.

Next step from there is Hawaiian coffee. I like the Maui Grown Coffee from the shop under the smokestack in Lahaina. It's different from Kona and has an interesting backstory, in case anyone wants to go read it on-line.

And if you want to really go big-time, get a box of Maui Gold Pineapples to bring back. Mr. Pineapple, on Dairy Road, has good prices, packs everything up nice, and most airlines let you take the pineapples for free, no additional luggage fees (and it doesn't count against your luggage allowance).

Edited: 14 April 2011, 02:48
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
51,234 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best souvenirs to bring home for friends and family?

Aloha,

Long's Drugs has a lot of the stuff already mentioned, and some others.

Photo frames,small 'soft' photo albums, calendars, cookbooks, other paperback or smaller hardback Hawaii themed books.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best souvenirs to bring home for friends and family?

Can't forget about the T shirts. My kids somehow lost my "Honu" T shirt from our Maui trip 5 years ago...I'm still aggravated about it. It will be one of the first things I buy when we land in June. I love T shirts from Maui...somehow they are just better than all of the other vacation destinations...not sure why.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,060 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best souvenirs to bring home for friends and family?

Cooking spices with a Hawaiian flair are good, easy to carry gifts. I like

"da Salty Lady's Hawaiian Seasoning for Steak and Fish". Other good choices from a company on Maui:

www.volcanospicecompany.com

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best souvenirs to bring home for friends and family?

Coffee and chocolate covered macadamia nuts. No one needs knick knacks or tshirts and it isn't the same to wear one when you haven't been. Pineapples cost the same at home and are as good, so I'd skip that. Just my two bits since we just returned and are wishing we'd gotten more of those two things!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best souvenirs to bring home for friends and family?

We brought back spices and seasonings for our family and friends, they loved them soo much they are sending us back to Maui for more.! Very inexpensive too...$6-10...if your friends like to cook ..they will love this!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,273 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best souvenirs to bring home for friends and family?

Our "take back" this year was lots of Hawaiian Sea Salt in various flavors...so much we shipped them home! Included the Kalua Pig reciepe for gifts and got rave reviews! We have also shipped home a case or so of wine from the winery several times...wine snobs make fun but opening a bottle of pineapple wine at home takes you right back to the islands!

Spokane
Level Contributor
839 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best souvenirs to bring home for friends and family?

Mama.... where do you suggest we pick update pineapple wine in kauai?? Any faves?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best souvenirs to bring home for friends and family?

It would be worth the effort to do a search for "souvenirs" on the major Hawaii forums. There have been some wonderful threads with great information.