We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking from Honua Kai to the Hyatt....

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
587 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Walking from Honua Kai to the Hyatt....

Realistically, how long do you think it would take to walk from the Honua Kai to the Hyatt along the beach boardwalk? I would like to try to walk it to take my son to the Hyatt's 10 am Wildlife Tour on our first Thursday there. He will be in a jogger stroller, loves it and I love long walks. It's a win, win, lol. I googled it and by car it says 2.7 miles. When I tried to estimate it but using the "distance" feature on TA and using HK a reference it came out to 2.2 miles. I understand though that it doesn't just go straight along the beach but sometimes makes it's way through some of the properties. Does it extend out towards Black Rock at the Sheraton? I sure hope not because that's quite a detour. Any info you have on this or if you have info about walking times from other locations to the Hyatt or anywhere along that route would be helpful as it would give me some idea. Thanks! :)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,124 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking from Honua Kai to the Hyatt....

Here's a little map, not to scale, to get you oriented... www.kaanapaliresort.com/About/resortMap.aspx

The Honua Kai is not listed and the new north end of the boardwalk is not shown. The HK is just to the left of the Westin Villas, about a 7 minute walk north. The walk does involve some walking on the sand and back around and through the Sheraton...might not be easy with a stroller. Guesstimate would be 90 minutes or so pushing a stroller. Take lots of water! That will be a HOT time of day.

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
587 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking from Honua Kai to the Hyatt....

Ah. Thank you so much. If it's through sand then that won't work at all. I will take the stroller with me then, drive and walk around to check stuff out when we get there.

Do you know where the path goes through sand? Just wondering if we can at least take the stroller to Whaler's Village.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,124 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking from Honua Kai to the Hyatt....

The sand part is North of Black Rock...the main boardwalk runs from the Sheraton to the Hyatt as seen on the map. The north,newer segment, runs from the HK to about the Maui Kaanapali Villas.

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
587 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking from Honua Kai to the Hyatt....

Oh ok. I have scoured that map and google maps and it was really hard to tell. Thanks for clearing that up!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,142 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking from Honua Kai to the Hyatt....

Aloha,

Actually, you don't have to walk in sand between the Royal Lahaina and the Sheraton. It's fine to walk on the paved path that runs along the edge of the golf course, past the Eldorado's cabana and down across the little bridge near the Sheraton.

I do agree that with a stroller it would be a hassle though-especially the part at the Sheraton.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking from Honua Kai to the Hyatt....

It would be easier to walk past the WKORV down Kai Ala and cot through another property then connect to kekaa - - the mileage sounds about right.

the northern part of black rock has very soft sand and not the walkway

The best way would be to take the car and then stroll around, from the Hyatt the beachwalk is doable with a stroller as is Whalers Village - they have an elevator in the middle also.

Edited: 17 April 2011, 16:18
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,753 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking from Honua Kai to the Hyatt....

I would allow an hour. The beach walk does go through the Sheraton grounds, but it's not out of your way, and agree that you can stay on paved paths.

You'll probably have water with you, but if you need refills, there is a fountain (and restrooms) on the Sheraton grounds, and as well a little further along between the Sheraton and Whaler's. Since the walkway does get crowded in places, especially in the section south of Black Rock, allow a little longer than your normal walking pace.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking from Honua Kai to the Hyatt....

You can easily take the stroller from the Hyatt to Whaler's Village. I would drive to the Hyatt -- and then leave the car there and take the paved beach path 10 minute walk to Whaler's Village.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,753 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking from Honua Kai to the Hyatt....

somebodysmomma,

When will you be there? We are going for the first two weeks of May and will be doing that walk (from the Mahana which is next door to HK). I'll report back then.

The last time we were there we walked on the paved path the whole way, as per the directions that swmarket gives above. Along the edge of the golf course you just need to keep a 'heads up' for the golfers, and an ear out for "fore!".

Susan

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
587 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking from Honua Kai to the Hyatt....

Thanks for all of the tips! I am going to try to do the whole walk. I am used to heat as I live in a somewhat desert climate area in southern CA and during the summer it gets to the low 100's. I am looking forward to a little cool down. I realize that it will be humid though so we will definitely be bringing water for this. Humidity has always been harder for me to tolerate than dry heat. Give me dry heat any day!

Susan, we are going mid-July so I would love to hear how that walk goes for you. Have a great trip!