We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vanilla

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
215 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
vanilla

I am wondering if Maui is a good place to buy vanilla extract? I think I read somewhere that you can get vanilla beans that are grown there but maybe I am wrong. If you can get either, where would be the best place to buy them? Thanks.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,434 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vanilla

I could well be wrong but I've never seen that! We did encounter ice cream made with local vanilla beans on Kauai, but again no actual beans. Be great to hear other responses! Thanks for asking a neat question!

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: vanilla

MEXICO has pure vanilla extract everywhere...is it possibly another sunny, beach paradise you're thinking of? I'm not familiar with any repuatation it has in Maui.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,467 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: vanilla

There are several vanilla growers on Maui...

And you can buy packages of the beans, which are expensive at a couple of bucks each, in a few places as well as on-line.

It is a novelty and attempt to find alternative agricultural products with a local "hook", more than anything else. Maui vanilla is not considered world-class by any means; either is Kauai vanilla.

The Big Island orchards show more promise, but the crop is labor intensive, tricky to grow, and takes years to fully mature.

It is unlikely they will ever compare with Madagascar beans.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,083 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vanilla

Actually, the Big Island of Hawaii is known for its vanilla. I read an article not too long ago about it ... and the tours they offer. Sounded wonderful. Just the right climate ... something about best place to grow vanilla outside of Tahiti.

I have seen vanilla for sale in stores all over Hawaii - places that specialize in local jams, jellies, honeys, etc.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,434 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vanilla

Thanks amberloo! The first time I'd encountered it was on Kauai...may not be the best on a world scale, but WOW! And I don't normally eat sweets!

BLBL you may be right, as it's not something I would look for.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,083 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vanilla

Mamma - I don't think it's an ABC Store kinda thing. More specialty shops. I wouldn't get excited about buying vanilla in Hawaii.

Edited: 19 April 2011, 02:50
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,467 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: vanilla

I think "known" may be a little bit of a push Betty Lou....

The BI is "known" for coffee, mac nuts, anthuriums, papyas and maybe even avocados, pond scum (red algae) and opihi, but not vanilla; at least not yet.

It is grown there, but really is still an inconsequential crop with limited acres in orchards. I had to apprasie one a couple of years ago, and the maket outlook is eh, mixed.

But vanilla is doing better than the cocoa farming efforts, which started about the same time. And, as I said above, its outlook is far better than Maui or Kauai.

Never have heard of a vanilla expert claiming the BI crop as anything near the best, as yet, but the crop will continue to mature....and it is widely acknowledged the best is grown in Madagascar (the (bourbon or kafrin beans). I'm no expert, just had to read a lot about it during the assignment.

But if it can be grown, it can be grown excellently on the BI.

Orange, CA
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vanilla

I have an excellent on-line source for vanilla beans if anyone would like it- PM me. When one bean is $9 in the grocery store here, time to find another source.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,083 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: vanilla

I don't disagree with you Amberloo (dare I?). The vanilla industry (a stretch) is boutique-y. But apparently, the climate and other great agricultural attributes are present on the BI ... again, similar to Tahiti - also known for its vanilla.

As for me, I'm a Watkins kinda girl.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,049 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: vanilla

I like to put a tad of this "stuff" in my German Chocolate Upside Down 4/18/2011 Fed Tax day cake.

I don't want to get it "too strong" cause Uncle Sam will say I cooked the books. Or I am a bean counter.

Carry on with the important vanilla discussion. A little bit goes a loooooooong way.