We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on convertibles in Maui?

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
290 reviews
Save Topic
advice on convertibles in Maui?

I've never like convertibles. I think they are generally less safe and they are definitely more expensive to rent. On Maui my family seems interested in going topless and spending more $ for the convertible. I have never even driven one and just wonder during late July and August if the family is going to be closing the top and turning on the ac, making the extra expense even more ridiculous? I know this little travel nuance is up to me but if there are opinions out there I'd like to hear. Thanks

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,681 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on convertibles in Maui?

Had a convertible twice on island...most of the time the top was up because of the sun.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,645 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on convertibles in Maui?

Hot sun will be beating down ou you. Get ready to use lots of sunscreen and wear a hat. What is the make up of the "family"..sounds like more than two. If so, I vote ..skip it.

One year our friends upgraded to a convertible. Since we were the couple in the back seat,I hated it. The wind was soooo bad. Either the windows had to be be up or I was down in the seat trying not to get windblasted. Also couldn't keep any kind of hat on to protect the top of head and face. No sight seeing for me.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on convertibles in Maui?

I agree with Barefoot re: party of more than 2 for a convertible. We have rented one both times on Maui, and love it, but there are only 2 of us. Do we always have the top down? Nope. Do we really enjoy it when we do? You bet. I booked mine WAY in advance, like almost a year, and got one for $249/week, unltd. miles, which is pretty darned good. 2 years previous, I was able to get one a little cheaper by bidding on Priceline, but never could get a cheaper price for this year.

Save the convertible for when it's just 2 of you. A convertible is windy enough for the folks in the front seats, but it is hurricane'ville for the folks in the back!

Fairfax Station...
Level Contributor
147 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on convertibles in Maui?

We upgraded to a convertible on our last trip, and found that after having the top down about an hour, the sun was just too much. Kept the top up and the AC on for the rest of the trip. I'd say save your $$.

texas
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice on convertibles in Maui?

if it's JUST the two of you, do it. i think the rth was much more enjoyable (even though we barely made it 1/3 of the way) and seeing Maui was very nice with the top being down.

That being said, I did burn my face a little on the RTH but that was my fault b/c I didn't reapply sunscreen. We were there in May also and not July/August so it wasn't as hot.

and lastly, i was able to bid for it for 20/day last year and 25/day this year on priceline, so that made a difference. if it's that much more $$ and it's more than 2 of you, skip it! if it's just the two of you and you can stand the heat, maybe. but just remember to apply your sunscreen, A LOT!

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice on convertibles in Maui?

Thanks for great advice.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice on convertibles in Maui?

Now that your advice is taken on the type of vehicle, I need to price a car. I guess I will check individual car company sites, try Kayak or Panda or other web companies, look at adding the car to my plane tickets which I am about ready to buy, or maybe bid on priceline which I have not done in a while. I also have a rental car to arrange in Portland and have to deal with a drop off charge in Seattle. If there are tips on saving money on car rental in Maui, I will duly note them. Thanks

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,681 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice on convertibles in Maui?

Take a look at this site http://discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
161 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advice on convertibles in Maui?

I'm surprised most people here seem to be sorta negative on convertibles. How ever I guess if you know what your getting yourself into its not big deal. I have one in ten days and I've had one in June in Arizona, so lots of sun and heat, and I loved it, We drove with the top down and AC on blast most the time which made it very comfortable.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,531 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: advice on convertibles in Maui?

If you are a Costco member, suggest checking http://www.costcotravel.com/#0 ... it's where I found the lowest car rental rates for our upcoming trip to Maui.

Edited: 26 April 2011, 14:31