We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swinging Bridges hike.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Swinging Bridges hike.

Anyone heard of this or any feedback about it. Just saw it listed in one guide but am a little concerned about it being over private property even if the owner seems to be allowing and even encouraging it...

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,970 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swinging Bridges hike.

glen, take a look at this info... …about.com/od/mauiland/ss/waihee_hike_10.htm Haven't heard any "blow back" about private property! Hopefully sw can give you the "skinny"!

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swinging Bridges hike.

I believe it is also referred to as the Waihee Ridge Trail. If this is indeed the same trail you are referring to, there are no "owner" issues that I have read about. We will be hiking this trail in June when there. $6 entry fee...which is a steal for those views.

Maui
Level Contributor
126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swinging Bridges hike.

Swinging Bridges is the same hike as Waihee Ridge. There are no real private property crossings, although the first part of the hike is along the access road next to the Spreckles Ditch. As parking is very limited in the area and there are some private homes nearby the trailhead, be thoughtful about where you park.

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Swinging Bridges hike.

is ok and f un hike

Nyack, New York
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Swinging Bridges hike.

The Waihee Ridge hike I went on a couple of years ago didn't have any swinging bridges on it. It went up maybe a 1000 feet or so after 2 or 3 miles to a great viewpoint with a picnic table.

I believe you're referring to the Waihee Valley trail.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,991 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swinging Bridges hike.

The Swinging Bridges trail is actually the Waihee Valley trail, Nualol Man is right!!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,531 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swinging Bridges hike.

Aloha,

You might want to read the info here:

…about.com/od/mauiland/ss/waihee_hike_4.htm

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swinging Bridges hike.

thanks all. great info.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swinging Bridges hike.

SW, Msfuzz,

Now I'm really confused, which is normal. The "Valley Trail", "Valley Ridge Trail", "Ridge Trail"...these are mixed on many different references, adding to my confusion. SW's recommended site speaks to the Valley Trail and is helpful, but both the Ridge and the Valley Trails appear to be close to each other. If anyone else has any additional information on where to access one vs. the other, I would appreciate it. I'll continue to search the web as well.

Glenngus, sorry, not trying to highjack your post.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,531 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swinging Bridges hike.

Aloha,

No worries, Honu. The Ridge Trail is literally "above" the Valley Trail. It realy shouldn't be called the "Valley Ridge Trail", since that can confuse lots of folks, not just you.

From the top of the Ridge Trail, you can look down into the Valley. Here's a pretty decent page about hikes on public property here:

www.mauimapp.com/information/hiking.htm

The Valley is NOT listed since it's not public access.