We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui first, Kauai second same year!

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
587 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Maui first, Kauai second same year!

I am so excited. We are going to Maui in July and then to Kauai in September. Staying at HK in Maui and at the Grand Hyatt for Thanksgiving in Kauai. I am posting to the Maui board to find out what are the things I can skip on Maui (so I can focus on other stuff) that I will end up doing in Kauai. I have 7 days planned in each location. I know they are very different but I just thought I would ask and see if the board had any ideas on this. If not, then I will focus on planning each trip not worry about it. It's will be fun no matter what! Thanks in advance! :)

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,951 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui first, Kauai second same year!

Lucky you!! If you are into snorkeling and a luau, do that on Maui. If you are going to be visiting the north shore of Kauai, (I don't know where the hotel you are staying is located), you could skip traveling the road to Hana.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui first, Kauai second same year!

Way to go! Good choices all around.

Hyatt is a great hotel in Poipu. Consider visiting Waimea Canyon & Salt Pond Beach - do visit the gorgeous North Shore, should be splendid in Sept.

It's hard not to get ahead of yourself and think about all upcoming trips - I'm guilty - have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,771 Reviews
Kauai, HI
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,981 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui first, Kauai second same year!

Don't skip snorkeling on Maui, but there will be good snorkeling on Kaua`i in several spots. The best is Lawai Beach, only a few minutes from the Hyatt.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,115 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui first, Kauai second same year!

You could skip Road to Hana (Maui's most heavily tropical area, most like parts of Kauai). You could skip a helicopter tour; Kauai is THE island for that!

IMO, Maui has better snorkeling and a LOT more restaurants and shopping, It does NOT have the Waimea Canyon or quite the drop-dead-gorgeous green pali of northern Kauai.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,771 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui first, Kauai second same year!

If you like to hike in the rainforest, save that for Kauai, and bring some real hiking shoes. No white clothing or shoes unless you want them to be stained a bright brown-red color. On Maui, enjoy the beaches and the snorkeling and the restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
cmd
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
522 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui first, Kauai second same year!

Hey, I know how you feel! I'm doing Maui in July and the BI at the beginning of Oct.

Maui for water sports/beaches, Kauai for Hiking/Nature (the North shore beaches may not be the greatest during Nov.). My faves for hiking: Pihei, Kalalau, Kuilau.

Agree with LesRose about Salt Pond Beach, good place to go if the weather happens to be wet in the east/north. Not a spectacular beach, but it's in the dry part of the island.

If you want to see a black sand beach, hike through a huge bamboo forest, see Oheo Gulch, you'll need to do the RTH. If you haven't been to Maui before, I would still consider it, even though you are going to Kauai later in the year.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Ohe'o Gulch
Ohe'o Gulch
604 Reviews
Maui, HI
Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
587 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui first, Kauai second same year!

So, I booked a helicopter tour on Kauai! I was nervous about it but contacted the company directly and they have never had an accident. The person I talked to also said they fly for safety, do a tour and there's no "thrill ride" to it. My son (he's 4) is going to love this! Thanks for that suggestion!

There's so much to see on Kauai and I already get the feeling that the experiences we will have on each island are going to be so different. I am looking forward to both equally.

I won't be traveling much in 2012 because I have to have a surgery that will use up all of my vacation time. I want to plan next year for something in 2013 though. I would like to also go to the BI but will save that for when my son is a little older.

Thanks again! :)

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
8. Re: Maui first, Kauai second same year!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2012, 05:49