We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ulalena &/ OR Luau?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
431 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Ulalena &/ OR Luau?

Hi all,

Looking at this 'show" and wondering if we decide to go is it all that different from a luau in terms of entertainment, or are there similar qualities?

We have 6 teens between us and these kind of evenings get very expensive.-() they have never been to Hawaii.

Could we get away with doing one over the other? My worry is the last luau I went to - albeit 20+ years ago) was a bit on the cheesy side with audience participation...etc..I can totally miss that kind of stuff, as I ended up feeling the $$ spent didn't equate with enough of a well put on show.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,046 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ulalena &/ OR Luau?

Do your kids want to go to a luau? Where are you staying?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
431 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ulalena &/ OR Luau?

We are staying at the KBC/

We all want a show that has enough of Hawaiian style show with dancers..doesn't have to be an official luau.

Does this help?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,046 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ulalena &/ OR Luau?

Check out the luau at the Sheraton or the Hyatt. Ask at your hotel who they may recommend or if they have discounts available.

I not a luau kinda girl -- but love the music and dance. Personally, I'd opt for 'Ulalena. And I see alot of discounts for it. Your family may also enjoy the Masters of Slack Key concert at Napili Kai in Napili. www.slackkey.com

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
56,438 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ulalena &/ OR Luau?

Aloha,

'Ulalena is nothing--repeat--nothing like a luau. It is a story, told through a combination of modern and ancient dance, plus acrobatics..............it's often called 'the Hawaiian Cirque' though it's not.

'Ulalena doesn't include food or drink unless you 'upgrade'. I don't think the packages are really worth it-if you decide to go, just get good tickets for the show only. It is a wonderful, wonderful show.

I know I prev. mentioned the Hyatt's luau to you-and still rec that, esp. above the Sheraton's.

P.S. Since K. Beach Club is a timeshare, be very, very wary of any "deals" with them.

Edited: 15 May 2011, 19:18
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,993 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ulalena &/ OR Luau?

Comparing a luau to Ulalena is like comparing apples and bananas. Each gives you the flavor of Hawaii but are totally different. Your teenagers will have a great time at the Drums of the Pacific at the Hyatt. Best hotel luau on the island.

Unless the teens are into different kinds of music or are musicians themselves, I doubt they would have a great time at a slack key concert.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ulalena &/ OR Luau?

Definitely the Luau.

First time to Hawaii, and you want to experience a show, then you should experience the traditional Hawaiian dance and dinner show.

I saw the Ulalena show, it is entertaining enough, but it is more like a show you can catch in Vegas, with a Hawaiian twist.

Save Reply
7. Re: Ulalena &/ OR Luau?

Everyone above is right... Ulalena and a Luau are VERY different.... However the post above states that a Luau is "traditional" Hawaiian dance, when in fact it is mostly made up of dances from Tahiti, New Zealand, Samoa, and Tonga. Most of the songs you hear in a Luau are also NOT Hawaiian at all.

Ulalena is a one of a kind experience, and a great way to get a bit of history and culture while being entertained. I would definitely read the program insert before the show to get a gist of what's going on though. They even have a blog in their website that might familiarize yourself with the show/language since it is ALL in Hawaiian.

As far as dinner packages, the last time our family went to see the show we got a Lahaina Prime Rib & Fish Co. Dinner which was the SAME price as a Luau. The restaurant is kid-friendly, right on the water, and very close to the theater.

On a side note: Drums of the Pacific is one of the WORST Luaus on the island super super super CHEESY (I'm sorry a "sarong" fashion show and a Don Ho wanna be host is SO not Hawaii). Hope this helps!

Edited: 15 May 2011, 21:11
Save Reply
8. Re: Ulalena &/ OR Luau?

Oops.. I meant to say the Ulalena/Lahaina Prime Rib and Fish Co Dinner Package... An adult package is 97 bucks for a 3 course meal. They also have dinner packages with Ruths Chris Steakhouse and some other restaurants that are a little more pricey. :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
431 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ulalena &/ OR Luau?

Thanks SW Market :)

After all the advice, I do think you are right on the money ..looks like the Hyatt is the best option for us---------and seems to be a favorite among many posters...

Thinking it will be a nice evening out, and I will get our other fix at Warren & Annabelle's with just the adults.

Check that one off my list for trip planning:)

J

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,993 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ulalena &/ OR Luau?

Leftmyheart,most people on this forum know the most traditional Hawaiian luau on the island is the Old Lahaina Luau. That is out for the op. We must then suggest good alternatives which the Drums of the Pacific is. Yes, just like all the hotel luau's, it is a bit cheesy. But, unlike the rest, it has one of the best fire knife dancers in all of Hawaii. And no, that's not Hawaiian either but what folks who have never been want to see. I've been to all most all the hotel luau's on Maui and this one is the BEST. Especially when teenagers are involved. Don't worry, luv, you will enjoy it!!