We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui october High Level Itinerary - Love your review/comment

bedford
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Maui october High Level Itinerary - Love your review/comment

Please ignore my mispellings...everytime I go to type some of the names..I have to go look it up!!

So I am sure many of you have seen lots of my threads….Thanks for all the help. I am going to be putting together high level itineraries to get some input (I had to say high level so if I want to come back with a detailed one you won’t say – what the heck you already posted this )

I will put these in each of the specific forums.

So here is my Maui one!!! And just fyi while you are reading here are the hotels.

1 night Kula Lodge

1 night Hotel Wailia

3 nights Westin Kaanapali

1st day arrive 3:45 pm

pick up rental car

- decide to sightsee before check in or go to check in then sight see.

?? – Any suggestions of what to do this night? What to go and see before sunset….(should we go to Halekala for Sunset since we are there and seeing sunrise the next day). any specific suggestions for dinner…..

- check in at Kula Lodge

2nd day/night – full day (night at Hotel Wailiea)

- 3:00am (need to determine time) - Haeleakala Sunrise

- Breakfast at Kula lodge or near there

- Enjoy south Maui

- snorkel Maluaka / find pretty views (deciding on surf lessons here somewhere since we have the day or wait till Kaanapali)

(no plans for night yet – could just relax and have dinner somewhere in south Maui even at our hotel or sunset cruise)

3rd day/night – full day

- 6:00am – Road to Hana – the full loop (north shore to south shore)

(need place to get picnic lunch/snacks)

(thinking of picking up the Gypsy – will look into where)

Check in to Westin

(need to get groceries along the way - suggestions coming from south end...we might leave luggage at the Hotel and stop and get it on the way back)

4th day/night – full day

- Surf lessons (unless we do them in South Maui)

- Old Lahania Luau

(The rest of the day is open – need to decide what to do!)

5th – day/night – full day

- Snorkel trip – looking at full day Lanai trip or just half day trip

(deciding on company – looking at Trilogy and being able to do snuba - struggilng just like others between Lanai, Molokini or just one off Maui.)

- have not considered where the boat goes out at yet – if it will be a long drive or if they go out of where we will be.

Need to decide on what to do after the boat trip -- dinner/shop etc

6th day – Flight to BI at 2:42pm

- check out of hotel early

- Pineapple tour – 9:30 (up near airport kind of)

- Iao Needle (not sure how long this would take)

- return car

Things to do/comments and questions:

- since we had an option to stay at different areas of the island, I tried to keep the activities in that area. Example..staying in Kula since we are going to do the Sunrise at Halekala. And, I would have done the Luau the first night but didn’t want to drive to that area since we are staying in High Country.

-Would like to do a Sunset cruise – could do this out of South Maui on 2nd day – not sure we can do it any other day. (or wait for another island)

-Need to fit in Gazebo (pancakes) - poolside at the Napili Shores condos

Thanks for any help/corrections/suggestions!!!

United States
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui october High Level Itinerary - Love your review/comment

Depends on what you like but your plan sounds so active. Are you going to have any beach time? Watching sunsets...

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui october High Level Itinerary - Love your review/comment

In my opinion there is just way too much moving around. Checking in and out of hotels eats away at precious Maui time.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui october High Level Itinerary - Love your review/comment

I would recommend selecting one place to stay. As stated before, moving around so much during a short stay on Maui will use up a lot of your time. Not to mention that means sightseeing with your belongings in the car which is not typically recommended. Maui is small enough that you can stay in one place and see the island.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,121 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui october High Level Itinerary - Love your review/comment

I would allow for more 'down time' rather than over scheduling and not duplicating some activities. i.e. only do the sunrise to Haleakala, and choose either a snorkel sail or sunset sail, instead of both. You can snorkel right from the shore and watch beautiful sunsets from shore.

On arrival, your daylight time will be short with sunset close to 6 p.m. in October. You'll need to allow about an hour from the time that you arrive until you get out of the airport with your rental car (a good idea to have one person collect luggage and the other go get the car.) If you are arriving from the mainland after a long flight, and getting up at 3 a.m. for sunrise at Haleakala, you might not feel like doing much more than picking up some dinner and heading to the Kula Lodge.

We were really impressed with Goofyfoot surf school in Lahaina.

After your breakfast at the Gazebo, I suggest spending some time at Kapalua Beach and/or Honolua Bay (for great snorkeling) and take a drive up to the blowhole.

I love maximizing my swimming and snorkeling time in Hawaii, so I would opt for extra time doing that instead of the pineapple tour...but that's JMO.

Edited: 19 May 2011, 21:42
bedford
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui october High Level Itinerary - Love your review/comment

One of the reasons for the multiple hotels is we have timeshare at the Westin and don't check in until Friday. So we had to pay for 2 more nights somewhere. The Westin coudln't guarentee we would have the same room, and it was a little out of our price range. (If we could have had the same room - we would have probably spent the money). SOOO since we had to check in and out at least once..I looked for a way to save driving time..which since we were going to see the sunrise and RTH somewhere on our trip...thought these areas would be good.

neither of us are sit on the beach type..we are very active. I love being at the beach..but I can't sit for more than 20 minutes...I am up and about....but we don't want to rush, rush rush the whole time.

Let me know if you disagree now knowing the situation.

Susanm2004 - thanks for the detail notes. It appears that most of the surf schools that are recommended are in that area so which is why I was going to go on our kind of free day.

So maybe do the Gazebo, surfing, and Kapulua, blowhole all that same day before the Luaua (and of course allow time to go back to change !)

When you mentioned not seeing the sunset at Halekela and doing something like a sail or snorkel..you weren't thinking that night right? Just go to hotel and sightsee along the way there.

Would you suggest the sunset sail from South Maui the 2nd night..or from West Maui on that free day with surfing etc.

@smartlabel We should have time for sunsets on the 1st night, 2nd night, or 5th night. The only nights that are taken up are the night day we do the RTH and then the Luau.

The last day -- we were worried about snorkilng and not be able to shower etc.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,418 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui october High Level Itinerary - Love your review/comment

You do have quite a bit going on but if that is what your wish is, whom am I to argue!!

You won't have enough time from the time you arrive to get your car, go to the Kula Lodge, check in and then drive to the summit of Haleakala for a sunset. I suggest checking in, have dinner and then just chill till morning.

Leave your luggage at the Kula Lodge, get up and do sunrise the day after arriving. Once done, go back down to the Kula Lodge, get your luggage and head over to the Hotel Wailea. They may or may not let you check in early but they should be able to have a place that you can drop your luggage. Snorkel or whatever you want to do. You can pick up your Gypsy guide in Kihei for your journey to Hana the next morning.

Road to Hana, go to the Hana forum and on the right hand side of the page, check out the Top Questions. They will give you all kinds of info about the journey including where to stop and eat. It's always a good idea to take some of your own food. The road side stands may or may not be open when you pass them. Make sure to at least take water. You must know by now, the southern route is prohibited by your rental car contract. You may wish to either ignore this or not, your choice. Never do your journey to Hana with luggage in your car. You could live to regret it!!

As far as the number of boat trips you are taking, I say the more the merrier!! I just happen to love being on the water in a boat whether it's to snorkel or just a pupu sunset cruise.

I wouldn't go out of my way for a pineapple tour, just not my bag. The same goes for the Gazebo. You can get wonderful pancakes and coconut syrup at any good restaurant, most you don't have to stand in line for.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,555 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui october High Level Itinerary - Love your review/comment

What you do your first day depends on where you are flying in from. Another island ... then yes, you should have some energy. From the Mainland ... prepare to chill. (If I missed this detail, sorry.)

I would spend two nights at the Hotel Wailea (!) rather than one at the Kula Lodge. Not worth the hopping around, and you will be sorry you have such a short time in Wailea.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,121 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui october High Level Itinerary - Love your review/comment

>>"So maybe do the Gazebo, surfing, and Kapulua, blowhole all that same day before the Luaua (and of course allow time to go back to change !)"<<

I would book an early surf lesson, so probably not the best idea to go to Gazebo first (it would also mean backtracking if you go to the Gazebo as it's in Napili). I haven't been to the Gazebo after 2 trips to Maui ... don't like standing in line for meals :) Agree with msfuzz to consider somewhere easier to get breakfast.

>>"When you mentioned not seeing the sunset at Halekela and doing something like a sail or snorkel..you weren't thinking that night right? Just go to hotel and sightsee along the way there."<<

Yes...two different events ... I shouldn't have put them in the same sentence. On the day you arrive, you won't have time to do much, at least in daylight hours. Best to do the boat trip when you are in Kaanapali since your day on the south shore after you get back from Haleakala sounds quite full already.

Just a note that sunset sails end around sunset, so you'll be starting around 4 p.m.

Forgot to also add ... I'm not much for sitting on a beach either ... but swimming and especially snorkeling consume a lot of my time.

Edited: 19 May 2011, 22:34
bedford
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui october High Level Itinerary - Love your review/comment

wow soo much more activity than my Kauai forum !!

Yippeee love it.

BLBL -- I did not put that my first day is from the Mainland.....first stop is Maui...so looks like the vote is for chillin!! (even tho so hard for me)..hahaha

So spending the night at Kula won't save us much time for teh sunset ? I was thinking it would save a lot of time..instead of at Hotel Wailiea...or is it just 15 minutes or so?

msfuzz --- thanks for the luggage part as that was my plan ..I actually asked the hotel if we could leave it (before check in) and then when we check out too before Hana. I LOVE being on the boat in the water too.

2nd thiking the pancakes..I don't LIKE standing in line..food is not a big deal to me..but the person I am traveling with likes a good meal.

SusanM2004 -

Right now the day back from the sunrise is really just enjoying the beach and...south maui..not sure on details yet...except reading where to snorkel. That is why night time could have been sunset sail. But maybe I will keep it for the surf/free day in Kaanapali.

And we are alike...I like the beach...just doing! Boogey board, , snorkel..etc..

Anyone like one place better than the other for the view?

I am getting sooo excited!!!!!!

bedford
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui october High Level Itinerary - Love your review/comment

@BLBL --- I was trying to see how much time we are saving by staying at Kula Lodge vs Wailea hotel as you suggested staying two nights.

I tried to google t he distance between Kula and Hotel Wailea and it kept sending me all the way north and back down. is there not a road or way to go straight there. Or do we litterally have to go 37 north near the aiport..and then back down 311 to 31 to hotel Wailea?