We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car in Maui from Kahului Airport

1 post
Save Topic
Renting a car in Maui from Kahului Airport

My wife and I are going to Maui in July 15 to the 24. I was looking to rent a car as soon as we get there. Does anyone have any advice on where to rent from. I would like to get a convertable. We are planning an going to Hana and a lot of sightseeing on the island, it is our first time. Thanks in advance

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car in Maui from Kahului Airport

You need to reserve your car in advance and you need to do it sooner rather than later (read: now!)

Check http://www.costcotravel.com/ for discounted rates. Another good site is: http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

All the majors are reputable companies: Alamo, Budget, Hertz, Thrifty, Enterprise. Pick the one that has the car you want and is the cheapest.

Edited: 19 May 2011, 21:03
Midwest
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car in Maui from Kahului Airport

There are kiosks at the airport to rent cars when you land, but you are far better off listening to pirates and reserving one now. Reserve from a major, Alamo & Avis work best for us in OGG, bypass the kiosks and get directly on the shuttle of your car rental company

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,282 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car in Maui from Kahului Airport

I don't even think the kiosks are manned anymore. Just a phone to pick up and ring the rental location and call for a pickup bus. All the "on airport" rental spots are in a cluster, a few 100 yards from the airport. There are buses constantly running that take you over to them.

But, you will be much happier making a reservation in advance.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,044 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car in Maui from Kahului Airport

I don't even think the kiosks are manned anymore.>>

they were manned in march and they just pointed to the rear of the building where the shuttle busses pull in

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car in Maui from Kahului Airport

I rented an Enterprise car for out trip next year, but rented at the off airport location. Although you have to take a taxi to this location, I saved 600$ compared to the Enterprise location at the airport.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,465 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car in Maui from Kahului Airport

The biggest reason to rent a car in advance is because there may not be any when you land. They scaled back on the fleets and there are a limited number of cars. Best to have a reservation than pay the fee's for transportation from the airport to your lodgings.

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car in Maui from Kahului Airport

yes, do

ConverTIBLE

SoCal
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car in Maui from Kahului Airport

We went for 2 weeks in early April. I looked at car rentals online at cheaptravel.com and saw one company had cheap prices but delayed reserving bc I hadn't nailed down what day we were flying in. Went back 3 days later and the deal was gone-price had gone up over $100/wk! Kept checking every few days and found another deal-not as good as the first but ok. I also found if I went to the company websites it was a few dollars cheaper than the above mentioned website, but that one checks all the major companies and gives you a direction to go in.

Moral of the story-check NOW and reserve the cheapest you can find (but check out the cancelation policy for that company first). Go back every 4 or 5 days to a wk and check again. If you find a cheaper deal just cancel your first reservation. You can usually do it with no penalty.

Our first trip we used Kihei Rentacar-they have used cars cheaper and will pick you up at the airport. The guy who picked us up was really ratty looking and gave an antichristian tirade the rest of the way to the kihei company when I asked about any good churches in the area. (the van was in really bad condition-rust inside, no carpet on the floorboards, drink containers strewn about) The van taking us back to the airport was much better-what you would expect. The car itself ran fine. We were there for 3 1/2 wks so rented the cheapest car they had. It was rough on the outside, ok on the inside but we do the beaches mostly not drive the island (we only used one tank of gas). Company was ok, but if I can find new cars at almost the same price I wouldn't use them again.

This past April we used Advantage (a division of Hertz). Someone above mentioned having to take a taxi to the rental car companies. Most of the big companies have their own buses, unless they rented on another side of the island to get a better price (every time I've checked that the taxi ride negates any savings).

One more thing-hurry to the rental office ASAP. You're not the only one who got the deal. One of you jump off the bus and get in line. My hubby was 3rd or fourth in line, and it took 20 minutes at least between 2 desk clerks. When it was his turn, there were at least 12 people behind him who'd come in another bus, and when we were leaving a third bus had pulled up. I know people were waiting for at least an hour to get their car.

ok..."one more" one more thing-this last trip we rented one level up from the smallest car as we took only carryons (really-if you have a w/d in the condo you don't need more than a few days worth, and only one pair long pants-I freeze and only wore mine on the plane rides). We ended up with a hatchback. This can be bad if you have rented more than one place and have to leave your luggage in the car in plain view all day until the next place is available. (we got early check in so wasn't an issue this trip, but first one it would have been-you do not leave stuff in the cars at beach parking or any where else!!) You also want the smallest car that will fit you. Parking spaces are tiny in most places. Also if you plan on doing the road to Hana-will help you fit on that skinny road better.

Booster seats-don't rent from the car companies at $8/day. Run to Walmart of Kmart a mile away and buy one for $20, then go back and get your passengers. (United won't let you check your carseat/booster for free any more, but you can use your carseat on the plane but not a booster. It will be considered a carryon)

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a car in Maui from Kahului Airport

I mentioned a taxi above. There are 2 Enterprise locations. One at the airport and another closer in to Kahului that doesn't have to charge an airport fee of 4.50 ( I think) a day which saves money in the long run. The Enterprise shuttle doesn't go to this location, thus the need for taxi.

Edited: 20 May 2011, 19:39
Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a car in Maui from Kahului Airport

Yep, the concession fee is 4.50 a day if rented at the airport. We're staying 2 months so that's 270.00 we're saving by renting off premises. I'll pay a 20 dollar cab ride any day to save that 270.